a/c vent temp variance

Page 1 of 3
2005 dodge ram 3500. my drivers side air vents blow cold, the passenger side vents blow hot. the difference is measured as high as 30 degrees after
driving for 15 miles on the interstate. before i look at it im wondering if this is a common issue? without having looked at it i suspect that the vent diverter is at the evaporator and the system is low on refrigerant.......but again, i havent done a thing beyond measuring the vent temps. thanks,
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Nate:
The most common cause of this is, as you suspected, a low refrigerant charge.
Mike

thanks. now im debating on fixing it myself to know its done properly, or letting dodge take a shot at it since its under warranty.
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Throw a set of gauges on the system... if the pressures are low, you know what to do. If not, drive REALLY fast to the dealer service department, because that means the dash is coming out to fix whatever's hosed in the dual-zone HVAC module. (In fact, even if the charge is low, I still might drive really fast to the service dept., because the most likely cause of that is a leaking evaporator)

thats my thinking too. its under warranty i might as well use it.......even if it is what i do for a living.
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
just got off the phone with the dealership. they told me there is a "blend door" that has been failing, and is becoming a somewhat common issue. now its a matter of waiting until thursday to get me in. :-(
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

At least you know what the problem is and be thankful that you are not having 113 degree days! :)

Don't feel bad... my dealership took 9 days to replace my leaking evaporator... and that was after I told them when I scheduled the appointment that the evaporator was leaking. Nothing like being proactive and making sure you have the parts in stock, right? Come on.... that's just crazy talk.
Almost as good as the time my battery exploded on me, and they told me they'd have to order a replacement, because they didn't have one in stock. "You've got 500 trucks out there on the lot, and I'm pretty sure most of them have a battery or two in them". <blank stare>
Ahhh.... dealerships. I'm dreading my next appointment... can't imagine how long it's going to take to repair a broken nav system. What do you figure? 4 days? 6? I can hardly wait...
On Jul 6, 12:53 pm, "Tom Lawrence"

I give it 8 days!
azwiley1 thought everyone should know:

your becoming a optimist Larry!!
2 weeks min!! they gonna have to get star center involved and everything *grin*
(sorry Tom just my pessimistic forecast)
--
Chris

Lots of horror stories, I know.... but spend a week with me or Denny and you will look at dealerships through "new" eyes.
Mike
Mike Simmons thought everyone should know:

i used to work in one remember???
and yes i know...my comment was based on the fact that just about every time i had to involve star center they had less of a clue than i did what to do about the problem. now that scared me as they were supposed to be the support??? SHEESH!
oh and dont get me started on the star parts thing!!!
--
Chris

He ..he... he...
:^)
Mike

All dealerships are not created equally. Feb 05 I took my new 04 Ram 1500 hemi on its first long ride - vacation to Arkansas. Driving into Tenn, the check engine light came on just as I was parking at the Express Hotel in Jackson.
Eating dinner at the adjacent Roadhouse SteakHouse I mentioned to the owner (obviously pegged as "not from here") that I was pretty much stuck unless I found a Dodge dealer. Turns out he knew the GM at a dealer right down the street I hadn't known about. After hours, he called the guy at home and after a brief discussion handed me the phone so he could inquire what my problem was.
I explained the check engine light came on and the brand new less than 500 miles truck was not running right. This guy told me to be at his shop at 8am the next day (saturday - shop closed!) and he'd check it out.
At the place next morning, a mechanic came in on his day off, pulled me into the shop and rigged the DB11. Minutes later he said the number one cylinder coil was out. They didn't have one in stock being a new part, but they had just gotten a delivery of new trucks the previous day. Not a problem - he popped the hood on a new hemi in the olot and within 15 minutes I was ready to go.
No charge, of course, but I practically had to beg the guy to take a $100 bill tip for coming in. "The boss is paying me to come in for this - I can't take that from you" he said.
Suffice it to say I wrote a nice letter to Chrysler praising the dealership and mechanic personally, and sent a copy to the dealership to put on their wall. Bit over a month later I got a nice letter from the owner of the dealership saying he was happy I was pleased with the service and thanking me for writing the note to Chrysler.
Unfortunately - it seems people write letters only to complain and not when a dealer provides good service.

What's wrong with the nav system, Tom? What I generally do is "if" I am sure that it is the head unit, I order an exchange for the customer and when they come in, we make the swap. One trip.... no waiting.....
Mike

As best I can tell, the database index that's held in NVRAM is hosed, causing VERY erroneous maps to display (usually a patchwork quilt of red criss-cross lines). The GPS receiver is working fine, as the lat/long's are always correct. I'd love to simply try re-flashing (not to bring up THAT dead horse for another flogging) the software, but I don't know if there's a way to do it without having a newer version of the software - and I don't want to plunk down >$100 for an updated DVD without knowing for sure that that would fix the problem.

You wanna talk to my dealership? Maybe they'd learn something...

Hey Tom, drive a few hours west and I'll say I can have it fixed for ya in about 4 months. I'll even spring for the White Castles while ya wait... <VBG>
Denny

Cheapskate!! You never offered me no White Castles....!!
MIke

In not offering he did you a favor. I wonder why he's pissed at Tom. <BFG>
Roy

Just trying to help a friend out and ya'll jump on my case... See if I ever get you a Christmas present.....
Denny