99 Dodge Ram 3500-Leaking Oil From Blow By Vent Valve

I have a 99 dodge ram 3500, and it has just started leaking oil from the blow by vent valve. Any ideas on what to do?

Thank you!

Melody

Reply to
brinsfieldma

Either you have a bad or plugged PCV valve or excessive blowby from engine wear or stuck piston rings

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Sadly, you have no "blow by vent valve". What you have is what all Cummins of that model have: a catch bottle at the bottom of the vent tube on the gear cover at the front of the engine.

It leaks, because at some point, it gets full. So, you can either empty it, or live with it.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Snohead is wrong on both counts, as usual. Oil dripping from the catch bottle on the vent tube is fairly normal.

Reply to
Max Dodge

PCV valve??

Reply to
Roy

you have to excuse him (SnoMan) Roy, he believes that its a gasser..since that is the only thing he would have ever bought.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

My '99 didn't come from the factory with a bottle, just the tube hanging down. I put an oil breather tank from Summit Racing on it. Cummins now offers a Fleetguard enviroguard breather system for ISBs.

Nosey

Save your money. Get a large rolaids bottle, punch a hole for the breather pipe through the cap. Slide the cap up the pipe a bit, put a worm clamp on the hose under the cap. Take the plastic bottle and punch a few holes at the top and screw it on thto the cap. m/t it every 5K. I extended mine with a hose to make it eaiser to reach.

I'm leery of the filter in snow and cold.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I figured he was about to tell her to replace the engine. That's what he told the last girl with a problem. Yup, he was wrong there too

Reply to
Roy

I would expect such a comment from someone with such a fat head. Excessive crankcase pressure causes oil mist to be blown out vents. You may consider it normal but it is not unless you consider excessive blow by or crankcase pressure normal.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Watch it Max or his girl/boy friend will start calling you a liar, following you from post to post, group to group if you continue to piss in Snotard Cheerio's! (even if he is wrong and/or making such remarks out his vile hatred for oil burners)

Reply to
azwiley1

Yeah, I think the 2000's were the first that actually had a bottle.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I would expect such a reply from one with so little knowledge..... your turn.

Well, until the PCV system was invented, crankcase pressure WAS in fact, normal on all engines. My Cummins has had this since new, as have many others, judging by the inquiries regarding oil smell on start up after a fresh oil change.

IOW, you are full of shit again. Nothing new there.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Reply to
brinsfieldma via CarKB.com

Yup, and it was a pia to reach. Had to extend it.

Reply to
Roy

OH BULLSHIT!!!

Read up on a Cummins will ya before ya open your friggin' mouth.

Reply to
Roy

PCV.... on a diesel.... now THAT'S funny.

Tell me - what do you think would happen if you introduced crankcase vapors - oil mist - to the intake of a running diesel?

The whole purpose of the vent tube IS to ventilate the crankcase. Up until '00, the crankcase was simply vented to the atmosphere. Then DC added a catch bottle, to be emptied at each oil change. The HPCR version of the ISB saw the introduction of a crankcase breather system, which attempts to return the oil to the crankcase, while still venting the case to the outside. This works better, but still isn't 100%.

In other words, as others here who actually OWN, OPERATE, and MAINTAIN these exact engines tried to tell you, it's normal operation.

Remember our discussion from last week? You're doing it again...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Now, Now, Tom. Apparently it is acceptable for him to spout off incorrect and bogus information. Haven't you been following along with the "lessons" the new group netnanny, a.ak.a Reststop Ricky has been spouting off? Shame Shame.

Reply to
azwiley1

What I want to know is, what told you it's a diesel? All "99 dodge ram 3500" are?

punkin, Tom doesn't want a child clinging to him. He's got a good record here, he's honest, and he's able to both agree, and disagree, with SnoMan as he sees appropriate.

Reply to
Beryl

The OP !!

Well Idiot, we are waiting