Converting NV4500 to NV5600

Page 2 of 2

Hey! I thought nay-sayers weren't allowed here anymore... now you're actually CONSIDERING taking a contrary opinion??
I'm declaring shenanigans...
No I'm not. And he was stating his experience with his 5600 which I find beneficial. Personally, I don't recall the 5600 trannied Ram I drove to be any more difficult but maybe I need to take one for another spin. I was obviously not turned off by the 5600 or I wouldn't be considering doing this.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmission/nv5600_spec.html See the swap information link on this page.

http://www.drivetrain.com/nv5600.html
I don't know about your 4500, but my 4500 is smooth, its slick and aluminum. It successfully worked against some significant loads on my 360 powered 1500 for years. My only complaint was the 3 - 4 backlash, but it worked flawlessly. On my '04 3500 Cummins dually, my 5600 is hard work. It is MUCH bigger and MUCH heavier. The pilot shaft is 1.250 in diameter. The 4500 pilot shaft is .750. You will never, blower or otherwise, ever create the low rpm torque the 5600 is designed to handle, with the 360. In full NASCAR trim you might see 600 ft lbs at 6200 rpm. A .750 pilot shaft will handle that just fine. I am not being negative. I am giving you damn good advice and I might add, for free. Now for the clutch, that's a different story. The 360 clutch is weak and needs help, but then again so does the 13 on the Cummins. I can easy smoke both of them with just a little abuse. However, if you are gentle and let them both hook up before applying power, you can get by for thousands of miles. Steve

What year is the truck your 4500 is in?
--
Laszlo Almasi

Did you swap that in? I thought the 1500's only came with a NV3500, and then only with the 5.2L. The 5.9L only came with an auto in the 1500's...

Settle down with the 'for free', "Brent"... no one's holding a gun to your head here - you post because you want to, no other reason.

A clutch upgrade is certainly warranted if he's going to be putting higher HP through it... I ran a Centerforce DF on my 2500 with an NV4500 putting out about 350HP, 500lb.ft., and 38" tires. It's still holding up fine for the current owner. Like you said, I smoked the stock clutch in about 5,000 miles :)