Converting NV4500 to NV5600

Hhmm....good info I guess. But please explain what you mean by endloader. It is my understanding that the differences are basically in the bell housing, larger shafts and longer overall assembly which will necessitate changing the lengths of the driveshafts.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works
4500 - everything comes out the top, shafts and all. Unbolt the shifter, then the coverplate which holds the shiftrails comes off the top. The whole top of the case is exposed.

5600 - You can't remove the top of the case. The rails and shafts come out the end.

There's one link that was posted in this thread that shows pictures of both. It's clear to see that each case is constructed very different.

Reply to
Demon

Here's a screaming side-by-side comparison. NV4500 (TOP) NV5600 (BOTTOM)

Demon

That's what I thought you meant. The shifter comes out in the same location on both trannies....that's the main point with regards to ability to fit. Doesn't matter to me how it is disassembled...that'd happen when it's out of the body anyway. The input shaft and output shaft are in the same location as well so it should just be a matter of modifications to a few parts to fit. From info that has been sent to me so far, I may just need an adapter plate for the bell housing and modify the lengths of the driveshafts.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I see what you're getting at now. You don't care how the cases are constructed, just the physical size differences for swapping one with the other. So when you said the cases are the same you were just ignorant to the fact that they are not at all the same.

Your statement "The input shaft and output shaft are in the same location as well so it should just be a matter of modifications to a few parts to fit." I find pretty funny. So you want to try and swap internals from a 4500 to a 5600? Good luck with that. For starters the overdrive on the 4500 is out the back of the main case. Thus the problem with the 5th gear nut backing off. The 5600 overdrive is on the main shaft in the front of the case. Then none of the gears would be swapable that would put the gear ratios out. And the syncros, why would you even want to swap those.

Or are you just talking about modifying a few parts on the truck to be able to swap them? The 5600 is 5 1/2" longer than a 4500. So rear driveshaft needs to be cut and front needs to be lengthened. If you use a pre-'99 nv5600 you'll have the weaker version of it. it will have a 1 1/4" 12spline input shaft with a

12.25" clutch and a smaller pilot bearing. the 2000+ model year nv5600's have an upgraded input shaft at 1 3/8" 10 spline that uses a 13" clutch and slightly larger pilot bearing. If you end up useing a 24valve flywheel you'll need the 3/4" aluminum spacer for the starter. Or use a 12valve crossover flywheel (thats pre-drilled for the 13" clutch) then you don't need the starter spacer.

Lots of people have done the swap, theres nothing new there. Myself, I'm in the process of putting an '01 nv5600 13"clutch behind a '95 12 valve.

Reply to
Demon

Exactly.

No...no ignorance. Just in your misunderstanding of what my plans are.

No one said anything about putting internals from a 56 into a 45. I think you again misunderstood.

That's exactly what my plans are.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I follow you now. I got thrown off track when you started talking about them being housed in the same case. I will be useing a crossover flywheel. and a np205 behind it. This is all in my '84 crew cab Chevy, so I can't say any thing to what else needs to be modified in a Dodge. But I believe the 5600 to be a good fit for the powerband of a 12 valve.

Reply to
Demon