Hesitation problem

Today I went out for a quick bite and on way home, my 98 Ram Diesel started to hesistate and then the engine light came on. When I hit the accelerator it acted like it wasn't get enough fuel so I just had to
let it coast and luckily made it home. I recently replaced the fuel filter and had noticed at times that when I would be driving, I could intermittently tell it was hesitating for split second when I was at full speed and then it was fine. Today was the first time the engine light came on. Any suggestions on what might cause this? My guess is possibly the fuel pump, but not sure.
On 9 Dec 2006 12:59:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If the CE light is on then their is a trouble code in the computer. That will tell you where to start.
beekeep

Lift pump probably, hopefully not the injector pump.
Roy
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

12 valve engine or 24?
--
Ken

24 valve cummins

On 9 Dec 2006 12:59:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Find wire at fuel CO solenoid, just aft of the inj pump. Follow the wire back towards the firewall looking for worn through insulation. If this wire shorts out on any grounded metal, solenoid will close shutting off fuel. can be intermittent due to vibration. Also might be the engine speed sensor going bad, causing the engine to go into limp home mode. JMTCW 89 & 00 CTD's
Looks like it was the wire at the CO solenoid, it was pressed down on the nut encasing the fuel filter. I pulled it up and noticed 2 deep indentations and used some electrical tape to hold it up off the nut and took it for a drive. Bingo, no issues. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the responses.
Kevin

Plastic loom from WM will protect that wire.
On 10 Dec 2006 13:42:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Fule boost pump might be going south get a pressure check on it or u will take out the injector pump it dont take much to cost big bucks