Hood latch on 99 Ram 1500

I'm hoping that someone has a "Been there, done that" fix for this....

Wife popped the hood with the inside release and tried to release the secondary latch with the lever behind the grill and the rod and assembly fell off...

We're spend hours trying to figure out how to get the hood open without removing the grill, any suggestions?

Reply to
Mac Davis

Hey Mac, sorry for your bad luck. I haven't seen a '99 1500 latch so I'm going by Google.

Have you tried to use a bent hanger to pull the latching part on the underside of the hood towards the front of the truck to unlatch it? I would try with the hood pulled up the inch or two till I got it hooked with the hanger, then press down a bit on the hood then pull the latch forward.

Take a look at this Recall notice as it has a diagram.

Of course that one is different than my 2500 '03 which you can reach through the grill with a long skinny screwdriver and push the latch where the latch rod connected, to the right (driver's side) to release it.

Good luck,

FMB

Reply to
Robert Liening

Hey Bob.... Got a great email with photos from Bob Stout... Nan opened it this morning on her way out to work! Method was pretty much the same as your 2500, with a long rod... We'd tried coathanger, baling wire, etc... no luck...

Reply to
Mac Davis

Just got back from Oregon, Mac. Glad to hear Nan was able to get the hood up. Tell her Hi for me.

Reply to
FMB

Will DO!

Reply to