I think somebody needs to make *me* some CCCs....

So, the truck had to stay an extra day, because some bearings hadn't arrived. Today they did, and as I left work, I called and Chris said, yea, it'd be ready probably by 5:30. YAY!
Sadly, by the time I got to the car, Chris called back and told me "the driveshaft doesn't fit (?!) and it'll be Monday before the dealer can find and send the right one.
I'm about ready to chew rocks and spit out sand. The novelty of driving an automatic car has quite wore off.
I WANT MY TRUCK BACK!!!!

No CC's for you!! It is punishment 'cause you wouldn't send any to Denny and I!<G>
Gotta ask. Why doesn't the drive shaft fit? It came out didn't it. You don't want to pay for a drive shaft from the dealer.
Roy
Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (2/19/2010 5:11 PM):

It was damaged, and they have to replace it. I don't think I have time (or can afford; I'm paying for a rental) to get one not from the dealer, but why don't I? I suppose I could call Chris tomorrow and talk about the options.
jmc

Get one from a junk yard and put new u joints in it.
How did it get damaged? I thought it was a transfer case issue.
Roy
Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (2/19/2010 8:09 PM):

I'm not sure - transfer case damaged the front drive shaft? I read some other cases like that researching the internet. I'm still very ignorant about what makes up a 4x4 system.
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (2/19/2010 8:09 PM):

maybe this happened? I pulled this off a random post in a truck forum: " The CV boot on the drive shaft fell apart and took the CV bearings with it and once it began to chatter, it took out the output bearing in the transfer case. "
(what does cv stand for? I see a lot of problems with these, when googling.)
I suspect that the truck sometimes didn't come out of 4x4 properly - it seemed to, but I'd have problems with the rear tires skidding and chattering on turns, and was told that sounded like it was still in 4Hi, or not completely out. I had some method I don't quite remember at the moment to get it to hopefully go all the way to 2wd, and that skipping would stop. It also stopped at the same time the gravelly noise started, but 4hi was clearly working properly.
I truly hope I've not misplaced my trust - this shop came highly recommended and they've always seemed to do right by me; I've been going there for years, but it's only in the last two years the truck's started having bigger issues.
I really need my truck back, don't know where the nearest junkyard is and certainly wouldn't know a decent driveshaft if someone whacked me with it (hubby's not a car guy either). In this case, I have to trust the mechanic.
jmc
CV usually refers to a more complex type of U-Joint, used on the drive shaft couplers that hook to steerable wheels, found near the wheels. they are pricey little darlings, yet it is nowadays cheaper (on many Front wheel drive cars) to replace the whole "short shaft" than to put replacement boots {aka grease covering seals} on, go figure.
Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (2/19/2010 8:09 PM):

Sorry for the multipost. Was thinking, at least THIS didn't happen:
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/96/4101/25239550063_large.jpg
Apparently this was a Dak that someone had run for 12 miles in 4x4 on dry pavement. Put a hole in the floor pan and broke the skid plate. Yikes!
jmc
There is always risk of below, but in reality, there had to be bigger issues to cause this? right? I mean even snow covered roads are not COMPLETELY snow covered all the time.