i ve got hard one

1992 dodge d50 ram ,2.4 motor. has new coil/transtior for coil/mfi relay ecm rebuilt starter relay plus and wires cap /rotor/timing belt/head was warp has been shaved new gaskets.rebult dist /new ignition switch. rebult alternator.the problem is you turn key in start postion well start but you have to hard it in the start postion when released to run stops running so does anyone have and answer on what the problem is should could use help on this one
Reply to
dodge50

The problem is in the ignition switch or the wiring. In the start position full battery voltage is fed to the ignition system for a hotter spark while cranking. After you release the key to the run position the voltage goes thru a resistor. Don't really know the wiring of your vehicle, but that's how it works. Sometimes the "full voltage" is sent from the starter solenoid. Try to get your hands on a manual and see. In your case the "Full voltage" is there but the normal run voltage is not.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Huh?

Reply to
Bob M

I agree with Bob....HUH?

Reply to
officer

In my '73 van it would be the ballast resistor...progress has muddied all the little fountains, however, and complicated all my pat answers. Bet it needs a computer to check it out, though...;>)

Cricket

Reply to
<ccole

Big Al, you win the award for "Best Understanding Of A Post That Was Not At All Understandable."

Reply to
Steve K

Ah shucks, it was nothing. Email me off the newsgroup and I'll tell you where to send the award:)

Should I try to explain my reply better? I re-read it and it makes sense to me, but then again, I wrote it:) Or, do you want me to re-post his question in easier to understand terms?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

well if you cant understand it than read it better it stops running when the key is releaed back in the run position the parts are all new it,s got all kinds of voltage have check that already new ignituion switch all so

Reply to
dodge50

In addition to checking for voltage while the ignition switch is in the "run" position, you might also check to make sure the anti-diesel solenoid (if equipped) is working. It should be pulled-in only when the ignition switch is in the "run" position. If not, the engine very likely won't stay running.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

You had way too much punctuation in that reply for the OP to handle, Bryan.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Be nice.

Reply to
Roy

Huh?

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

learn to use periods and other miscellaneous punctuation...

Reply to
Badger

Well we,ve tried just about everything .it,s not a diesl sorry .We had acode 22 out the sytem .We traced the wire repaired it ,But still doesnt d any thing diff .Still only runs when you hold key in runn position .Stops when it is released.This is a 1992 Dodge D50 Ram 2.4 motor

Reply to
dodge50

That balast resistor use to be mounted on the fire wall and if its burnt out (open) its your answer to your prolem JW

Reply to
John

Look for a (its usually white ceramic coated some times square or rectangular)open balast resistor one of its wires should be going to the coil JW

Reply to
John

well this truck does,nt have a ballist resitorm ive looked at all fusebile links nothing wrong with them,Tthe currrent goes from the battery sraight to the fuse box the the igntion switch back to the starter solnoid ,ive checked wire voltage wiring harness for shorts

Reply to
dodge50

well we found the problem if any of you guys want to know it,s the mass air flow sensour causing all the trouble

Reply to
dodge50