liberty CRD vs durango as family vehicle for my wife?

Page 1 of 2
alright here's the deal. she's yellin wants a new car. so im lookin at options the two she likes are the liberty and the durango she wants to have plenty of seating for our 2 kids one 4 and one 7 months, comfortable for her
to drive to work everyday, she drives 35 min mostly highway. but also wants to pull the pontoon boat when we go camping (this would increase the number of times we go as if we decide to take the camper and the boat it means 4 round trips for me and the truck, 2 to go up and 2 to go back) so this is what im asking..... im looking for input/personal experiance with each what motor/trans setup would you suggest, pros/cons.
thanks
chris
Add pictures here
โœ–
Christopher Thompson wrote:

to tow a pontoon boat safely. I'm not a big fan of the Durango, too big, too heavy, too expensive, and to inefficient. Have her look at a Dakota; slightly better in those categories. Although I have to admit I don't much like the styling of the new Dakota. Also consider the new Mistubishi Raider - a rebodied Dakota.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!
.boB wrote:

I agree, the Liberty is too small to tow much.

What do you mean? For towing and seating it's tough to beat the new 2nd generation Durango with the 5.7L. I paid $23K for a new 2004 4x4 Hemi Durango. The Dakota isn't sold with the Hemi and the 4.7L doesn't get much better mpg. We looked at quite a few SUV's before buying the Durango. We could not find any 4x4 that could seat 4-7 people comfortable and tow as well as the Durango for less than the 23K we paid. So I'm not sure how the Dakota can do better for less although it should tow a pontoon boat easily.
Have her look at a Dakota; slightly

Add pictures here
โœ–
"" wrote: > ..boB wrote: > > > Simply for the towing, it has to be the Dodge. The > Liberty is too > > small to tow a pontoon boat safely. > > I agree, the Liberty is too small to tow much. > > > I'm not a big fan of the Durango, too big, too heavy, > too > > expensive, and to inefficient. > > What do you mean? For towing and seating it's tough to beat > the new 2nd > generation Durango with the 5.7L. I paid $23K for a new 2004 > 4x4 Hemi > Durango. The Dakota isn't sold with the Hemi and the 4.7L > doesn't get > much better mpg. We looked at quite a few SUV's before buying > the > Durango. We could not find any 4x4 that could seat 4-7 people > > comfortable and tow as well as the Durango for less than the > 23K we > paid. So I'm not sure how the Dakota can do better for less > although it > should tow a pontoon boat easily. > > Have her look at a Dakota; slightly > > better in those categories. Although I have to admit I don't > much like > > the styling of the new Dakota. Also consider the new > Mistubishi Raider > > - a rebodied Dakota. > >
The Hemi Dokata/Durago is not a good tow vehcial. Regardless of HP rating, the Torque peak is at 4200 and the Power peak is at 5400RPM and you do not tow at those RPMs and the engine will produce a lot less power and torque below 3000 RPM where most towing is done. Even the old Dodge 360 has more towing guts below 3000 RPM than the 5.7 Hemi. You would be better off with a 4.7 and 3.92 gears or so if you want to tow up to 4000 to 5000 lbs and you will use less fuel overall too. If your trailer weigh more than that you need a more serious tow vehical than a Hemi Durango regardless of what Chysler might claim. It you do deside to go with a crew cab truck, check of a 1500HD chevy crew cab (not the light duty 1500 model) It can be had with a short bed and it will easilty out tow a Hemi because the 6.0 in it has a much better power curve for towing than the Hemi (it has a lower RPM power peak and is a strong motor) and it pulls strongly at lower RPMs too. A 1500HD with 4.10 gears will tow ANYTHING you are ever likely to put behind it and 5 k behind it would be nothing. I know I seem anti Hemi but as it ships it is a poor towing motor. SUV’s need lots of low end grunt for good towing and something the 5.7 Hemi does not provide in it current tune. Recently my friend bought a new crew cab pickup and we drove a lot together and we drove a CC Hemi dualie with 4.10 gears and it was a bit of a joke power wise for a tow vehical (which he needed). That truck is still sitting on that dealers lot and it has been there since last year too.
โœ–
SnoMan wrote:

The Dakota I agree with. The Hemi Durango is an awesome tow vehicle. I have one, do you?

Very wrong. The HP and torque curves of the 5.7L Hemi are rather flat compared to the 360. I have the 360 in my 2001 Ram. I've towed my same 5,000lb trailer with both and the Hemi Durango easily out pulls the 360 Ram. I've also towed my trailer with a 2004 Chevy 2500HD and yes the Chevy 6.0 is slightly better than the hemi at pulling my trailer but not by much.
It really depends on what you want to tow. But saying the Hemi isn't any good for towing a 5Klb or so trailer is just plain wrong. It pulls mine with incredible ease faster than I wish to tow including up 6%+ grades. Is 75mph+ on flats and 50mph on 6% grades not good enough?

Oh geez. You haven't tried it and compared it with the Hemi have you? The 4.7L struggles trying to pull a 4K or 5K trailer even on flats and with the 3.92's.

They do exagerate just like any other manufacture. The Hemi Durango will easily pull up to 6K comfortably. The 8900lb rating is a bit much for a Hemi Durango as well as any 1/2 ton truck but then, I'm not going to compare a 3/4 ton truck to the Hemi Durango.

It does indeed pull a bit better up the steeper grades but not by much. Unless you've actually pulled the same trailer with the vehicles you've mentioned 360, 4.7L, Hemi 5.7L and Chevy 6.0L then you're guessing based on some stats. I've towed the same trailer with all 3. The 5.7L Hemi is much stronger than you seem to realize. No comparison to the older Dodge 360 and the 4.7L is very weak in the towing dept. THe Chevy 6.0L is a bit stronger but if you need that then go with a 2500HD and not the 1500.

How much does that Hemi Dualie weigh?
FYI: 2001 Dodge 5.9L has 255 lb-ft at 1500RPM (2001 Dodge brochure) 2004 Dodge 5.7L has 325 lb-ft at 1500RPM (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/smallblock/0403phr_hemi /)
Add pictures here
โœ–
6.0L Chey 300hp @ 4400rpm 5.7L Dodge Hemi 345hp @ 5400rpm

(http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/smallblock/0403phr_hemi /)
Add pictures here
โœ–
Christopher Thompson wrote:

extra room, carrying capacity, and smoother ride. I was really looking forward to the Liberty CRD, but all the road tests I've seen say the fuel mileage is much lower than expected (although that may be because the test vehicles aren't broken in yet) so if you're thinking of the CRD because of the fuel savings, it may not be as good as you expect. On the Durango (and Liberty), if you don't carry heavy loads, the 3.7 might be strong enough for you (also available on the Liberty) and will probably use less gas than the 4.7 engine, and the horsepower difference isn't as large as you'd expect based on the engine being 25% smaller than the 4.7. The 4.7 gives a little more power, but has a reputation for being thirsty. The 5.7 in the Durango has the same mileage rating as the 4.7. I've had the 3.7 in a Dodge Ram (stick shift) and now have the 4.7 in a Dodge Dakota (auto) and haven't had any problems with either engine. I liked the 3.7 with stick shift combination best for fuel economy (available on the Liberty but not with stick shift on the Durango), but you'll need to verify if that gives a high enough tow rating for you.
    Liberty CRD                Durango Pros    slightly better fuel mileage        Price compared to CRD     smaller, easier to park            Larger, more comfort     high tow rating with CRD        high tow rating with 4.7     Good off road capability        more rear storage space     Can attend Jeep Jamborees        highest tow rating                         5.7 hemi available
CONS    CRD Expensive                lower fuel mileage     diesel fuel cost more than unleaded    Larger, takes more room
John
Add pictures here
โœ–

the liberty crd isnt the prettyiest girl at the dance, but it is a great wifey vehicle. for towing you just cant beat a diesel. you didnt give any stats on your pontoon boat, just make sure it weighs less than the crd's capabilities. once you go diesel you never go back.
the new restyled durango on the other hand, is amongst the ugliest vehicles on the road. older durangos looked great, the newer durango runs great thanks to the addition of the hemi....to bad you couldnt get the older style with the hemi. the hemi can be a blast to drive, but if you tow with the durango your mileage is going to go from piss-poor to total suck-ass.
are you open to any other vehicles?
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com

Add pictures here
โœ–
and yes we would be open to considering other vehicles but at the moment seems like the 2 she's liking best is the liberty and durango although she mentions from time to time the chev tahoe.

Add pictures here
โœ–

if you plan to pull your pontoon boat with it and your pontoon boat gave an f150 any trouble at all (even a little bit!) then brother youre looking at the wrong vehicles. more important than being able to pull it is being able to control it in an emergency hard steer. if it "let you know its back there" on an f150 its most likely going to boss the crd/durango around like a girly little bitch. with the big 3 all offering employee pricing you just cant go wrong. i would recommend you seriously consider a full size 1/2 ton (minimum) truck/suv like the expedition/tahoe/suburban/full size van or step on up to the plate and bring her home a 2500 cummins. if a new durango is in your budget, so is a ram.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com
โœ–
Christopher Thompson wrote:

a Quad cab truck with a pickup based camper? That way you wouldn't need to make 4 round trips as you mentioned, since you could take the camper and boat at the same time, and when not camping, you could leave the camper home.
John
Add pictures here
โœ–

excellent recommendation! although i use my trailer (http://inlinediesel.com/trucks/3gen/1/index.html ) primarily for work, when its time to play the trailer becomes a toy hauler for my and the kids 4 wheelers. i hope to actually be able to take a day off soon so that i can start pricing slide in campers.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com
"JPH" wrote:

Yes go from a easy to manuver and park Liberty or minvan to a large land barge, that is a lot harder to park and manuver in tight areas, costs more yet and using even more $2 plus a gallon fule. Great logic for a everyday vehical.
โœ–

I read a review in our paper here last week on the new Liberty Diesel. They hated it. Said it struggled for power and kept over heating. They tried two and both over heated on uphill grades. I'd like to see more reviews to see if this was just a fluke.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Christopher Thompson wrote:

You need a mini van dude!
JAM
Add pictures here
โœ–
LOL thats what she's wanting to get out of.... we currently have a chev venture witch has been really good to us. the only thing ive had to do to it is (of course reg scheduled maint) water pump and intake gaskets

Add pictures here
โœ–
Christopher Thompson wrote:

You get the mini van, she gets what ever she wants.
That 4 WD is vital when competing for the best parking space at the mall.
JAM
Add pictures here
โœ–
I am looking for a new vehicle for my gal as well. I have done quite a bit of research on the Liberty and I have pretty much decided that we are going to get it. You can get a fully loaded Liberty with the diesel for under 30k right now.
She won't even know it's a diesel ... it is unbelievably quiet. Why spend more $$ on the Durango and get poor fuel economy? Plus, the diesel will last longer than a gas engine.
Craig C.
Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@metronet.com wrote: