New Dodge Ram questions.

I just traded in my 1992 Dodge diesel for a new 2006 SLT Quad cab 4x2 dually long bed with the automatic transmission, 3.73 axle, exhaust brake and towing package. The 92 was a pickup truck, this new one is pretty luxurious for a truck. The 92 Cummins had another 100k or so left in it, I'm sure, but the rest of the truck was showing its age. Rattles and squeaks, all the window rubber was shot, but for a 14 year old truck with over 200k it held up very well with no major problems.

My 92 averaged about 18.6 mpg empty and around 15 towing. Any idea what I can expect with this one? Empty I usually cruse the speed limit, or 70 max and towing 60 to 65 max except California where it is

55

I will probably have around 500 miles on it when I will pull a 7000 lb trailer to Oregon. I assume with only 500 miles that I shouldn't set the cruse control and just go along for hours at one speed. Although the first 250 miles of the trip will be back roads through small towns to reach the interstate so that should help.

While in Oregon or California I plan to buy a 5th wheel that will be at about 85-90% of the trucks capacity and that I suspect will be a big hit on mileage.

So any hints, tips, things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry

Reply to
jerry.osage

I had to go 50mph, or less, for the first 500 miles, when towing, with my

2005 2500HD SLT Quad cab. I think that is to help break in the tranny. Seems you not only need to take it easy on the engine when new, but the tranny as well.

M2CW, Hawkeye65

Reply to
The Addison's

Don't be suprised when your mileage is substantially less...your new Cummins is putting out over twice the horse power compared to your old truck.

Reply to
Advocate

I just got back from about a 4000 miles trip in my 3500 dually pulling a

14.5K 5th wheeler. I got 11 towing and 18.5 normal driving. Normal for me is 80 MPH or more. I towed at about 70. West Texas has raised the speed limits, err, as if I ever go that anywayz.
Reply to
MoParMaN

Your mileage will increase some as you work it and get some miles on it. Peak usually is reached by 20K if used hard. ymmv no pun intended

Roy

Reply to
Roy

What is this thing of which you speak..."speed limit"?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

That's what the blacks and mexicans are suppose to drive. It's doesn't apply to Dodge owners.

Reply to
MoParMaN

that would be the governed engine speed in overdrive.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I picked it up today and put a hundred miles on it. I AM IMPRESSED !!! This is going to be a fun truck. The 92 had power but this has a lot more and the 600 ft/lb of torque makes it spry for a truck. The only problem I can see is that I'm an old geezer and it is a little tall to for me to get into easily. I'm going to have to add a step or something.

Reply to
jerry.osage

I'm tall and I added crome nurf bars to mine. Looks good and the step help the misses and cocker out.

Reply to
MoParMaN

Put a 3" lift and use airbags (for yourself, not the truck...)

Reply to
Fat Ass Fred