overdrive kicks down to soon

anyone know why my 2000 dakota kicks down to 3rd from overdrive even at the slighest bit of a hill? this causes it to burn a lot of gas

My 3.9 2002 does it also. Miller Dodge, Binghamton, NY checked it out for me and told me it was underpowered. Several others in the group have have come to the same conclusion. JohnC