Re: Still Looking, more ????

The NEW Cummins Diesel is a lot quiter. Cummins redisigned their engines in mid year 2004. The new diesels have more power, better millage, and not as
noisey as before. I get approx. 16.6 miles to a gal on my 2004 Ram 2500 Diesel, "Off-Road" 4 X 4 with a 4.10 rear end and 5 speed automatic. This was a ":special" order to get the new engine & 5 speed. My truck has a 1 ton rating!

The new Hemi is about 475 HP and it takes HIGH TEST GAS! High test sells for $2.30 a gal and this monster gets only 7 to 8 miles per gal. Thanks, but no thanks. I will stay with my T-600 Diesel! Diesel fuel is only $2.12 a gal and my new(2004) gets almost 17 mph, Average!.

475 HP!!! What the hell are you smoking???

425HP... the poor guy's confused (as if that wasn't obvious)

Well, the "quiet" diesel came in 2003, with the introduction of the common rail injection system (among other things, but it's the pilot injection of the common rail that did the most to reduce the noise). The 2004.5 wasn't a re-design... it was a couple of changes (different turbo, addition of a cat converter, and some ECM updates) to make it 50-state emissions legal. And because of that, fuel economy went DOWN from the '03 and '04 engines.

Boy... somebody sure sold you a bag of $#!t... there is no, repeat, N O 5spd automatic available, now or in the past, behind a Cummins. The only 5spd auto that DC currently makes is the 545RFE, and that is exclusive to the 5.7L Hemi. It's not nearly strong enough to hold up to the 600ft.lbs. of torque (or 610 if you look at an '05 model) that the Cummins puts out. There have only been thw auto trannies offered for the Cummins since the introduction of the HPCR (high pressure common rail) engine - the 47RE behind the 235HP and 250HP engines, and the 48RE behind the 305HP and 325HP engines. Both are 4spd autos (which is why they start with a '4'). There WILL be a 5spd automatic available, but not for a couple of more years.
And as far as the ratings go, if you have a 2500, you have a GVWR of 8,800lbs. Depending on your truck's actual configuration, your payload capacity is somewhere around 1,900lbs. Now, while that's close to a ton, comparing your payload to an actual "1-ton" truck (a 3500 SRW, with a GVWR of 9,900lbs., and payload of around 3,000lbs., or a 3500DRW, GVWR of 12,000lbs. and a payload close to, or just over, 5,000lbs) is a bit misleading.