new tires / tire height on '01 1500 off road package

I have a '01 1500 4x4 quad cab with off road package with about 45K on the truck. I bought it used last year and it has Cooper discovery a/t LT265/70R17 tires that are about worn out. I am looking at new tires (any suggestions) that are good on 99.99% pavement (dry, wet and snow) but very little offroad.

It seems that the original tires on this truck were 275/70R17. If I go with this size for my new tires, will the truck sit up any higher or are the tires just wider? I don't want it any hihger...it is already a pain to get into (otherwise I love the truck).

Also, this truck appears to have ABS (according to dashboard light) but it certainly does not stop like it has ABS (don't get the ABS sound and pumping like other ABS cars I have driven). Is the ABS on rear tires only? This truck does not stop very well in snow (unlike my old Subaru) but the front worn tires may have something to do with it....

Thanks, BorninPA

Reply to
BorninPA

If you are happy with the Cooper Discovery A/Ts get them again. If you don't like them let us know why and we can suggest a better choice.

Check out

for tire sizecomparisons.

Visit your local Dodge dealer and have them look the VIN up. They can tell you the exact configuration of your truck. They might even print it out for you if you ask nicely.

-- Ken Born in Bucks County, PA

Reply to
Nosey

If I remember correctly, the older off roads do NOT have ABS, since off road, it's not too good holding on hills. One of the reasons I didn't get one back in 2000. The major reason was I didn't want another 360, it would have been my 4th one. And no, I didn't want a 318 either.

BDK, 2003 Off Road owner, with hemi.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

My 360 has the ABS light when you start the engine. I assumed that meant that it had ABS, but perhaps that is not the determining factor.

Reply to
BorninPA

Hey Ken, Thanks for the handy website. That was very cool.

I can't really say if I am happy with the coopers because I have never used any other tires on this truck (or any pickup truck for that matter because this is my first. In addition, the coopers were already very worn when I got the truck. Makes me wonder why they were on the truck when the truck probably had Goodyears on it originally and I purchased the truck with only 36K miles..... hmm

Reply to
BorninPA