Should I disable the Overdrive?

Got a 2004 Dakota 4-wheel drive with an automatic transmission. If I'm driving in 4 wheel hi, should the overdrive be turned off? My book only mentions this if the truck is towing anything.
Thanks for help, Dennis B

If you do not disable overdrive on a heavy trailer, the transmission will continuously hunt for the overdrive. Disabling it prevents this and will save your fuel pump and transmission.
I don't see why you would need to disable in 4x4, unless you are pulling some mean rpms with a heavy load.
Dennis wrote:

bad. I turn off the OD to help control the vehicle speed on the down hills.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod
Dennis wrote:

It would be better to have overdrive off while towing. I have never turned OD off for using 4wd, but then again, I only use 4wd at low speeds, where the OD wouldn't even matter.

Thanks for the information.
Dennis B.

overdrive. I thought 4WD was only for off-road, definitely not for dry pavement. Paul Johnson '95 Ram 2500 4WD

shouldn't be high enough to shift into overdrive anyways. and personally if you ask me, unless your on a farm having to service equipment in a muddy field 4wd is a not need. if the road conditions are so bad that I cant get there with my 2wd then I don't need to get there at that moment IMHO.
--
-Chris

Over the 35 years I've lived in either Utah and Idaho, I've used 4WD at highway speeds many, many times. Snowy or icy mountainous roads at times require it if you want to get there today...

DJ

I drive 25 miles to work, sometimes the highway is covered with snow. I get much better traction using 4 wheel drive. I can usually drive around 40 mph. I'm not sure at what speed the overdrive starts working. Thanks, Dennis B.