Sorry to say, but it had to happen

Page 1 of 2
8 people were killed and 12 were seriously injured in a San Bernardino offroad race when one of the cars crashed and went into the crowd.
"The crowd was standing within 10 feet of the track with no guard rails
separating them from the speeding vehicles". AP Writer
I have seen a lot of videos of crashes all over the world, and wondered when one of these would happen. I think there are times when the crowds are so close, particularly in some foreign countries where they run over road courses, that a death toll of 50-100 would be possible.
I have been to these races, and they are exciting to watch. At the first one, a dirt race truck kicked out a softball size rock that went about five feet over my head. I was fairly close to the track. Ever since, I pick my looking spots with safety in mind.
Condolences to families and friends.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

And these fools were racing thru the desert at night, with only their headlights to illuminate the terrain.

I was at a drag race, sitting up in the stands a good distance from the track, when one car's engine or tranny exploded. A hefty chunk of busted gear whalloped the seat back right beside me, then richocheted off and hit me in the side. REALLY hard. A direct hit would have... :(

No.
We get people hurt or killed every year at the Baja 250 and 1000 races... I had a neighbor that was actually dumb enough to be standing BETWEEN 2 set of ruts in the middle of the course, taking pictures!

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

And some people think that Darwinism is just a theory.
beekeep

I have PTSD, and am very fidgety when I see people doing stupid things. I was a safety man, so I've seen lots of things people do. Before I got into safety, I saw plenty in the oilfield including a multiple amputation of fingers of a guy working 3 feet to my right. I know shit happens.
One time a guy I know (I don't call him friend) saw a police situation near where we were working. It was a man with a gun, and officers had this man up against some oleanders, with nothing behind. Kenny wanted a better view, and walked behind the oleanders behind the perp, and right into the line of fire of POs with weapons drawn and already pointed at the perp. Turns out it was a realistic air pistol.
He got his ass chewed real good, but the expression on his face told me it went in one ear and out the other.
That was about the stupidest thing I've seen anyone ever do.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

You want to see some stupid stuff visit a large fire scene. There are a lot of things done in the name of "tradition" that are really stupid.
--
Steve W.

Please post some of those things.
Steve
wrote

I'll give you one stupid thing although not at a fire scene.
Fight a unwinnable war.
Curious, what does people doing stupid things like watching a race(don't agree that is stupid in itself) have to do with ptsd?

Now I'm curious. What the heck did you just say? And what does it have to do with what I asked Steve W. about?
Steve
wrote

Seems pretty clear.

You know, Roy. If you understand it, that's all that's important, isn't it?
Steve
wrote

Let me clear it up a bit so you'll understand.
I don't see the relevancy to one having ptsd to people doing "stupid things

Yes, Roy. It is very clear that you do not understand.
Steve
wrote

Oh, I am very familiar and understand ptsd very well.
The thing is since you brought ptsd into the thread I'm waiting for you to explain it's relevancy to people doing stupid things. But if you are unable to, well...

I'll do this slowly, Roy, so that you MAY understand.
PTSD gives the person affected by it a hypervigilant perception of everything. That is they are overly aware of impending or perceived threats. They jump at loud noises. They see things that "might" happen, and react almost as if those things are actually happening. So, when people do stupid things that put themselves in danger, a hypervigilant PTSD sufferer would be made very anxious and stressed watching them, and thinking that something bad was about to happen.
Can you comprehend THAT? But if you're unable to, well ......
Steve
visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com free books while they last
wrote

I understand how ptsd may at times manifest, but watching a race...... If you truly suffer from ptsd to the extent that watching a auto/truck race or people doing stupid things has a severe adverse effect on you, I'd suggest another evaluation.

Another evaluation as in ...............?
wrote

Anxiety.
Yes, I'm aware heightened anxiety is one of the indication's of ptsd. But in itself doesn't raise to the level of ptsd. There are a whole lot of other stuff involved with those with ptsd.

Does being diagnosed with it by one of the top neurosurgeons (Lonnie Hammargren, former NASA flight surgeon, Ray Horn's doctor, as well as doctor to other celebrities and high profile cases) in the country after a traumatic brain injury qualify? Does going on full disability from my union and Social Security qualify?
Or is this decision up to you and your massive cranial contents?
It must be tough to be a genius, and it must really suck to be you.
I'm done with you. You may go now.
What do you do in your little life? What have you done in your miserable existence so far that even qualifies you to speak on these subjects?
I thought so.
Steve
wrote

Nice that you now add to your story a tbi. That you left out in your earlier posts.

No, actually it is nice to be me.

Make up your mind will ya? Ya done or not?

Should I stay or should I go hmmmm..... Here's a flash for ya. You don't decide anything.
Now, please spare me the increaseing list of all your injuries and ailments that you feel the need to interject into a thread.

Actually I spend most of my time on a beach in Fl. I also travel around in a RV. When I'm home I look in to see if a pompus arse such as yourself has thrown any humerous bs into the mix.

I became very familier with ptsd a long time ago, before it was fashonable. Unlike you I don't feel the need to interject it or other wounds or injuries into a conversation online or anywhere else for that matter.

No, you don't think, you just run off at the keyboard.
I believe Beryl is correct.