It had to happen...

I own a Jeep :)

A 97 Grand Cherokee to be precise.

Fire away....

Reply to
Nige

Traitorous c*ut (says me with a Hilux). :-)

Reply to
EMB

Jesus Nige .. you used to be so nice too ;0)

Have to say our last RRC was rescued by Jeep parts to get it going when Landrover couldn't supply.

Enjoy it ... I'll give it 2 months (Which by Nige standards is quite long!)

:o)

Oh and Merry Christmas to you all!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

quite long!)

Don't be too hard on him - the two original prototype Landrovers were bilt on WW2 jeep chassis iirc !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You too buddy, hope the family's all good.

To be honest, it's a 97 vintage & looks like new, the build quality is better than LR, road manners are ok, off road i'll let you all know after Andy & I get it dirty on the 9th of jan....

Reply to
Nige

:)

Reply to
Nige

In message , Nige writes

I had one of about that vintage from new - P reg, straight 6 Standing joke in the office, it was back at the dealers at last once a month. I took it off-road with MT tyres. It was OK. Ground clearance not so good and the softer suspension was a bit dodgy on rocky ground.

Interestingly the mileage is held in the electronic speedo so to change the mileage reading ...

Reply to
hugh

Nige writes

I had one of about that vintage from new - P reg, straight 6 Standing joke in the office, it was back at the dealers at last once a month. I took it off-road with MT tyres. It was OK. Ground clearance not so good and the softer suspension was a bit dodgy on rocky ground.

Interestingly the mileage is held in the electronic speedo so to change the mileage reading ...

Ah, but the true mileage never goes away, it remains in the ECU, and anyone with the right tools can interrogate it and obtain the correct mileage. As for you Nige, Merry Christmas. I'm sure, in the New Year, you will enlighten us IDC with the pleasures of Jeep ownership.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Happy Holidays season to everybody !!!!

Nige as already quoted the very first Landies were based on WW2 Jeeps so I guess you are just returning back to the roots !!!!!

Keep us posted on the experience of being a Jeep owner.

Take care everybody and enjoy the Holidays Season Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Pantelis Giamarellos

Jeeps so I

correct

iirc The Wilkes brothers bought three Willys Jeeps from a scrap yard and used the chassis's to make the first three prototypes - centre steering and based on the pre-war Rover 75 engine.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've just rebuilt two MB axles and interestingly the swivel bearings are exactly the same as the RRC, 11520/11920 and the hub nuts are the same size and thread as the series LR and RRC. At least you won't get trouble with the transmission, built right and better than anything L/R ever produced originally.

All the best from here.

Reply to
Oily

You won't like it. Buy a Dodge ram instead, ignore the fuel consumption and you'll love it, lol. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Jeep and Rover parts similarities?

iirc the Rover co were making axles for Jeep at one point. There's a well documented story about how that deal resulted in the ex Buick V8 coming our way (that was originaly designed by BMW!) for the 101. So, yes, there is a lot of commonality between older LR and Jeep mechanical parts.

The "Salisbury" axle, found under many a 109 and 110, is also a Dana design, nothing to do with "Salisbury" in the UK.

I may be wrong in some of this, but it's all good fun.

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

Are you sure? Not Lipe or Bendix? :-)

Reply to
Oily

Wrong. The "Rover" V8 first appeared in the Rover P5b saloon and coupe, the "b" being added to the original name to signify the Buick-derived V8 engine. This was a significant number of years before the 101. The engine was not designed by BMW. GM effectively copied a BMW design, changing just enough of the design to avoid legal issues! Badger.

Reply to
Badger