Tow haul or OD off

I'm looking for a little knowledge. My old truck just had one mode "tow haul" used while towing. My 2006 5.7 cad cab appears to have 2 modes. Push the button once and it says it is in "tow haul" mode. Push it again and "tow haul" goes off but now "Over Drive Off" is displayed. I've read the owners manual and I'd say the wording is anything but direct.

So with Vacation coming soon I'm trying to gather knowledge. I'm pulling a

5500lb trailer and we are headed for the mountains. Do I use "tow haul" or "over drive off"? I understand "tow haul" alters the shift points? and "OD off" lock out OD? But I'm having trouble understanding when to pick which. And why do you not need both at the same time which does not appear to be an option, right? One or the other are my only displayed choices.

Can someone help me out?

Reply to
Dan Ward

With my Chevy I tow with overdrive off and not in tow haul mode. The transmission shifts fine like this with my 7000 pound trailer.

Reply to
Advocate

O/D Off means just that. It doesn't affect anything else about the way the trans works. Yow/Haul is also an O/D Off, but also the transmission shifts later, holding the truck in gear to get a little more towing power. Current transmissions shift very soon in an attempt to increase fuel mileage and decrease emissions.

Reply to
.boB