Wow! (synthetic oil change price)

Page 1 of 2
Checked with my new shop on oil change prices - $30 for a regular oil change (which is normal for this area) ... and *$85* for synthetic! WTF? I know Synthetic is more expensive, but that's ridiculous - my old
shop (which I'll be going back to for this) charges less than $60.
How can a shop justify charging that much?
jmc

They can justify it because people are willing to pay it. The best business model says charge as much as the market can bear, and not one cent more or less.
Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (6/30/2010 4:55 PM):

Well, I told 'em I wasn't willing to pay it, and went elsewhere, my old shop is charging me the same price for the oil change, tire rotation and balance as the new shop wants to charge just for the oil change.
"Bill" is not happy with me, I hope that doesn't mean my truck's hosed the next time I bring it there for service, because I like the work done and it's very convenient, but not if I'm going to pay something like $50 more for those three basic services.
jmc

I would only caution that: The guy that owns the shop, pays the employees etc, has to make a profit, or else he is going to close the door. Sometimes it seems un worthy of spending x for x, but when he cant do y for you, because he is not in business, you MIGHT wish you had. I live in a small town 35 miles from a real city, people keep driving to the city to save 5%, then wonder why the little town cant seem to support any "real" businesses? DUH! LOL. I hate that we lost the hardware store for a while, you had to drive 35 miles to get stupid crap like keys made, bolts, crap like that. another one finally opened and yes it is a tiny bit more than the city, but hey I don't lose an hour driving there and back getting a rubber washer for the hose and crap like that...
Lastly and yet conversely, Some places are using Synthetic Blends some places use totally synthetic, I get 8000 miles with my oil in my little commuter car, that I have these guys do full synthetic in. it is $55 or $60 I think, to get that changed around here. 25-35 for normal oil I think. Lastly some "business models" charge more for "pickups" even though one of my cars, holds more oil than one of my pickups (mightymax/d50 pickup), so go figure. My shop guys don't do the car vs truck thing, but 6 quarts are more than 5, but not labor wise.
Suddenly, without warning, PlowBoy exclaimed (7/1/2010 12:49 PM):

Both these shops are in "big city" areas and get plenty of business, so my situation isn't the same...
As for the synthetic, that's possible, and I'll have to ask. I'm also getting the idea that the price of synthetic varies wider than I'd thought, so will have to ask on brands as well.
Mighty Max, eh? Silly name for a truck, IMHO, but I owned two (1988 & 1991). Loved 'em. Recently crossed paths with the guy who bought the first one, it had been on the road for at least 15 years before he lost track of it (he sold it to a friend after owning it 8 years). I was sad to sell it, but we were going overseas and couldn't afford to bring two vehicles. When we got back I bought the second.
And FWIW, I change the oil myself on both trucks. So there :)
jmc
That is cool, that you had one, I wish I could find a 91 or 2 that had everything this 87 has. I think back in 90 my buddy actually had the diesel version 4x4, that would be nice now. My son got the "honor" of his first vehicle being my 87 long bed D50, I usually say mightymax because I have seen people not get it that this was before the Dakotas... I loved that little PU, rode rough but I had AC, powersteering, and cruise, what else you need right? It still runs ok, should have about 100k on it, I bought it with less than 70k 7 years ago. I don't think I like Mitsu-engines, one day it smokes next day it doesn't. I dreamed of the Conquest/TSI engine swap when I 1st got it. but then again it was the only vehicle I had after major life changes.

I wish mine had been a helicopter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psylvjk4lK8

I had a 91 but was no longer able to fix it no it's not worth it
i gave it to my dad who wants to fiddle with it. he is convinced he can fix it
he probalby can

If you cannot change your own oil, turn in your truck. If you are so busy, important, or make so much money that changing your money is not cost effective, then just pay what the man wants.
It's that simple.
Really.
Steve
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:03:22 -0700, "Steve B"

I agree. The main reason for getting a garage or lube joint to do it, is they take the waste and resell it. Less hassle than taking the old oil somewhere to dispose of it.
Suddenly, without warning, default exclaimed (7/1/2010 1:51 PM):

Oh, bullshit! I'm perfectly capable of changing my own damn oil, I just choose not to. If I choose and can afford to pay someone else to change my oil, then I can damn well do so, no matter what some prick on the Internet says.
There are other reasons. Like living in a townhouse community where the HOA disallows any auto maintenance.
I have no problem paying for it, I'm just not going to pay ridiculous prices for the privilege.
Troll, crawl back into your hole.
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (7/1/2010 7:19 PM):

Sorry, replied to the wrong post - this is directed at Steve, not default.
jmc

Pays to have a thick skin on Usenet.
There's nothing like doing it yourself if you want it done right. I was at Walmart and figured it was a good chance to get the oil changed. They immediately try to sell you on a bunch of stuff - air filter, chassis lube, tire pressure, clean the interior, etc.
I sprang for the extra cost of synthetic and chassis lube. The oil did get changed - hopefully it is synthetic (at least the lifters clatter a bit when starting - the usual sign of synthetic) but there wasn't a bit of lube on the chassis that I could see. Even if they didn't clean the zerk fittings there should be some grease on them. I won't go to Walmart again. Then the idiot tries to tell me that I didn't pay for a chassis lube - until I bring the invoice to him.

Yeah, I got a good laugh outta that too.. Probably only eats food that he kills with a club and drags home...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (7/1/2010 7:19 PM):

Ok, that may have been a bit over the top. Still, the sentiment remains - telling me to get rid of my truck because I choose not to change my own oil is pretty ridiculous. I changed the oil in my own vehicles for a couple of decades, if you must know, and will probably again once we move back to the country.
jmc

So, if you were working, and I came to you and asked how much you would charge to change my oil, what would you say?
Suddenly, without warning, Steve B exclaimed (7/1/2010 8:55 PM):

Silly question. I have no need to change anyone else's oil either :)
jmc

Well, hell, yes. The man should change it for free, and give you the oil, too. Don't they know who they're dealing with here?
Steve
Suddenly, without warning, Steve B exclaimed (7/1/2010 8:54 PM):

Oh, now you are trolling! When did I say I wanted it for free? Fair market value is fine, and if it turns out that some synthetic is priced that high, fair enough, but I can't afford to pay that much, so I'll still go to the less expensive guy. Why is that such a horrible thing?
jmc

You said you wanted it for free when you went off on this rant about how high the prices were. If you were a normal consumer, you would have done the dirtiest nastiest thing you could do, and that is to take your money elsewhere. Oh, wait. You did that. You just had to come here and piss and moan about it.
Either change your own oil, or pay someone. Just quitcherbitchin. Oh, I forgot to ask you. Are you male or female?
That would explain the ability to piss and moan at the same time. That's why females have two sets of lips.
Hmmmmmm?