PCM Checksum failure.

Geeze, maybe it is time for a new truck.

Yesterday, I had the truck into my new shop for an oil change, lube, tire rotation/balance plus state inspection and emissions. Everything was fine, all passed.

Today, I start the truck up: Check engine light. Code P0601. PCM checksum failure. Damn. "Rebooted" the truck, code reappeared second time it was turned on. Double damn.

Coincidence that this happened right after the truck was in the shop? Can't figure out how they'd be linked.

Anyway... maybe I'll be lucky and it'll just need to be re-flashed.

If it needs to be replaced, looks like a simple job (according to my Chiltons), should I do that myself, then just have the dealer reflash the new PCM if necessary? Will I be able to drive if I buy and install an aftermarket PCM?

If the suggestion is to buy and install myself - suggestion of vendors?

Also, I keep seeing mention that this might be covered under an 8/80 Federal Emissions Warranty. Never heard of such a thing, but the truck's still under 80k - barely - 79500!

If it's not under warranty, what am I looking for in repair costs?

This is depressing. Maybe I should just ditch the ol' gal and get myself a new truck...

jmc

Reply to
jmc

It is true. I'd think the 'putor would be covered. But I might be wrong. Mike or the Rabbit would know for sure imo.

A new truck? I suppose there is a time when the bs gets old and it's time to move on. Only you will know when that time arrives.

Roy.

.
Reply to
Roy

I'm not sure on this truck, but many have a plug in ROM that you can reseat. Also reseat the connectors on the PCM too...

Reply to
PeterD

Yes! The PCM is covered for 8/80 which ever occurs first. Don't diddle around once the clock reads 80001 it's over! The checksum error sounds like a PCM as well... not a common failure.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (7/8/2010 7:40 PM):

Whoops. It's 9 years old now, so I guess that occurred first. I'll still try though - the worse they can do is say "no".

jmc

Reply to
jmc