Punto 55 lights flash with indicators

Hi, My son's 1996 Punyo 55 1.1 has a problem with the rear lights. On the rear left hand side (near side). When the indicators are on all ok, switch on the lights or press the break
pedal and the near side rear lights flash dimly with them. Any help appreciated on where to start looking for the problem?

Sounds like a bad earth, check the connectivity.
Graham
Would that be in the light unit or elsewhere on the body?

Usually in the light cluster - check for corrosion along the tracks and the connectivity to the car body.
Graham

With most Fiats, the real light cluster is removable, though you may have remove trim to get at the mounting nuts, a pain in the butt. Don't let the nuts drop into a hollow body section. Generally a pull off connector, to a PCB with all the bulb holders riveted on it. The riveted connections after a few years can become oxidised joints. Also check and clean any grounding tags under bolts, and the chassis they bolt on to. If everything looks clean at the back end, look under the bonnet, you will probably find some 1/4 blade connector strips bolted to the metalwork, as electrical grounds, nicely placed to catch all the road, and winter salt spray. Worth giving them a clean. Dry joints hard to fix, most soldering irons can't cope, overheat the PCB, can sometimes do better with a soldered wire link from points where the heat isn't conducted away from the iron so fast. A thin smear of Vaselene on the PCB edge connector seems to make the fix last longer, if there is room retain the connector with a Tywrap or insulating tape, then it won't work loose.
Thanks for the info. I presume the earth cable is 'black' as I don't have a wiring diagram. I was thinking of stripping back a small part of the cable (black) and grouding to a local earth near the rear light cluster and making it permanent if all works ok.

Thanks again The rear light cluster connector block was tarnished. Cleaned up with some emery cloth and all works ok.