Punto petrol gauge

Hi, my wife's Punto (N reg) has a defective petrol gauge. It doesn't seem to register the proper amount in her tank. It can be displaying the tank is a
quarter full when in fact it is virtually empty.
Anyone know if this is an easy job to fix?
cheers
Steven.

Hello. I'm afraid that you have to substitute the complete assembly, as the fuel level sender is not available as spare part.
i suspect the most likly cause of this fault is a faulty voltage regulator in the instrument cluster making the gauge read wrong, the clusters can be dis-assembled in mk1 puntos, the guage unit can be bought separately from a fiat dealer. this is easy enought too replace, but you will need a 4mm and 3mm allen key too do the job. i cant see it being anything but this unless the fuel pump has recently been out of the tank recently, it is possible too bend the rod that the level float is conected too. hope that helps.