screenwash pump replacement

I have an old 1997 punto and the screenwash pump is failing -
I've bought a replacement pump but have no idea how to change it out. The screenwash bottle (and I assume the pump) is fitted under the engine bay at
the front wheel arch? how do I get to it?
any help appreciated.
ta, g.

to take the pump out you have to jack up the car, take off the wheel, remove the plastic lining of the front wheel arch (something like 8 screws and dirty hands), and then you can get to the pump. If I remember correctly, you can take the pump out without removing the water container. The pump is only clipped in. Make sure that the rubber sealing remains in place when putting the pump back in.
Has the pump stopped working altogether, or do you only get a trickle of water out of the front jets? Does the jet for the rear window washer still work? If so, then it is more likely the valve in the T-connector to the front jets that has failed (same pump for rear and front). The said T-connector is cheap and easy to change.
hth Heiner

If you can hear the pump whirring it probably is working, it's worth checking the electrical connectors to each pump first, before you get to removing the pump, they tend to corrode and make a bad connection. As mentioned the valve, jets a piping can suffer from blockages. A hot (not too hot) air gun on the tubing push on joints may soften them enough to get them off.

Thanks for the help you guys...
The pump whirrs away but suddenly a few weeks back the 'power' of the jet wash became less and less to the point now where water just trickles out the nozzles... I will follow the given instructions and replace the pump, but check out all the other suggestions at the same time.
Thanks again.
g.

Replacing the pump is a bit of a pain because over time the tubing hardens, as you have to disconnect the tubing anyway it won't hurt to extend the pipe so you can blow down it, and also attach another pipe to the pump outlet to check it pumps water. The pumps very simple, just a motor and impeller blade, so if it whirrs it's probably able to pump water, unless there is a blockage in the system (which is usually the non-return valve in the piping or a blocked corroded jet).
Fat Freddy's Cat heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :

Remove the pipe from the t-piece first ! You can attach it to one of the nozzles in the hood, i bet that is the problem...
--
Grt. Frank
Email frank@usenet4all dot com

I had that about 3 years ago with the T-piece, good tip !