Screenwash reservoir cradle

On my 1995 MX5 1.8Ie the screenwasher reservoir is mounted in the left side front wing, ahead of the road wheel. It sits in a pressed-steel cradle, which had rotted away. Replacing the cradle was not easy, but its all done now - with one exception: there is a 10mm bolt which so far has defeated us.

It is the upper bolt on the left side, holding cradle to wing, it's at 45° to vertical and its captive nut is in the headlamp recess. Access to human hand is impossible past the reservoir, but by removing the orange reflector in the side nose it can be approached with a socket on a long extension. Although we repeatedly offered the bolt up to its nut, we just could not get it to bite: our angle of approach was clearly a bit off.

Has anyone any experience of this operation, or any thoughts or suggestions?

Tony

Reply to
vat677

Yes, from personal experience I can tell you that one is a PITA. I know exactly what bolt that he is talking about. I was tearing down the car and was able to put a set of vice grips on it. All of the bolts were rusted, but that one apparently gets more water damage than the rest.

At that time I was thinking how glad I was that I was not replacing it.

Mazda moved the reservoir down there on ABS-equipped Miatas to make room for the ABS control box. They did not plan well with easily rusted bolts in an area that receives a lot of water during the rain. It is also an easy area to overlook because of where it is located.

I would be tempted to drill it all the way through and re-thread it, probably using hardware from my marine set to attach it this time.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Sounds tough... maybe a universal joint just above the socket? You could wrap the UJ with duct tape and get a slight angle to hold, but still allowing flex for when it starts turning. Another idea, somewhere I've seen an extention that was basically a long spring, which allows for some angular slop.

miker

suggestions?

Reply to
miker

Thanks, guys. Very interesting.

Getting the old nut out was a beggar of a job on its own, even after several soakings with Plus Gas. The flats were completely corroded off, so it just laughed at even an undersize socket. Vice grips wouldn't budge it. Fortunately there was a small piece of the old cradle for me to hit very hard with a hammer and long sharp chisel. I had to continue chiselling it hard for a full turn before it began to ease.

My serious advice to anyone who has this reservoir set-up is to free those bolts NOW, and grease them well. Even better, replace with stainless steel!

Tony

Reply to
vat677

Congrats! Sounds like my kind of solution.

Very good advice. I would have done this on my last Miata when I bought it with 10K miles on it if I had known how prone the bolts in this area are to corrosion.

Pat

Reply to
pws