A/C Retrofit recharge

My '86 TA has the old R3 ac system and its been a long while that its been just blowing warm air. I have seen the R134a kit to convert the old system and that its fairly easy to do. I have never messed with the ac systems
therefore I dont know if this is something easy enough that I should atempt. Or is there a huge risk of damaging the system? Anyone got any insight? Thanks in advance. TOM