another question for ya all

Page 1 of 2
oh and I forgot to thank all of you for the help on my last question..
ok how are the 350 and 305 different besides the power of course like will the intake manifold off of a 305 fit on a 350 for example cause it
sure looks like it will.....
TERRY wrote:

    A 305 and a 350 are in the same basic engine family, as are all small block chevys.
    The differtances are heads, bore sizes, cranks, crank journials, mains, ect. Internially they are different, and some items DO NOT interchange (IE 350 Crank in 305, or 350 heads on 305).
    A 350 is a member of the 4 inch bore side of the small block family. This block can take numerios cranks to either rasie or lower the displacement via stroke.
    With a 305 you do not have any options to change displacement other then bore enlargement. You are limited as in which heads you can run (they are 305 specific).
    When it comes to externials, such as water pumps, mechanical fuel pumps, accessiories. All that stuff is interchangeable. You can even use a water pump, pulleys, and accessiories off of a 4.3 V6.
    Things that won't work on a 305: 400 Small Block ballencers or flywheels, some starters, 4.3 V6 distributors (since it's for a 6 banger), and some other engine year/application specific stuff.
Charles

Actually there is a 335" stroker kit available for the 305, although why anyone would stroke a 305 with that small bore and restrictive head design is beyond me.
-Matt- "..."
matt borland wrote:

And IIRC, actually stroking it is one of the only options (other than N2O, supercharger or turbo) you have. My understanding is that the casting doesn't allow for any significant increase in bore size without hitting the water jacket. Now, my understanding is that you could use the same supercharger or turbo on the 305 that you would on the 350 so you could put the forced induction on it and then later you could build a 350 to put in it. It would however have been interesting to see what one of those Coates ball valve systems could have done to a 305. It would have solved the valve shrouding problem that makes it so hard to get any real performance out of the poor little things.
--
Cy Welch
89 RS 5.0 TBI, not running right now, but it will eventually, with a 350
Cyrus Welch wrote:

    A few months ago I was talking with another local shop owner, who does work turbos. We were talking about my V-8 Typhone 'Clone' Idea. He showed me some data from where they did a 305 Twin Turbo S-10 pick up for a customer. I was pretty impressed with the numbers. That S-10 was in the 10's in the quarter mile. Yet it had been lightened a bit body wise, and uses a tube frame. Not a driver by any means, it's a trailer queen show truck with more in audio equipiment then some of you ever invested in tools.
    The problem with cost effective turbo systems for SBC's is they don't exsist. Gail Banks stopped making them years ago, so unless you want to spend big bucks for one, your left tying to peice it from Honda Civic kits, and buick GN parts.
    My idea is a simple one. Find a clean 4x4 Chevy/GMC S-10/S-15 Blazer/Jimmy. Switch the parts needed to lower it to Typhoon ride height, and handling. Convert it to AWD (a simple transfercase replacement), use a 3/4 ton Full size front diff (to handle the increased stresses). Use a 400 small block with Twin turbos (one per cylinder bank) and TPI injection. Parts costs alone will probably run over $19,000.
Charles
Charles Bendig wrote:

Actually there is a kit out there from a company in Utah that actually replaces the muffler with a turbo. All the reports I have seen say that it works quite well. It may be far easier to adapt that unit than try something else. And I just saw an episode of horsepower tv where Banks said they were doing twin turbo stuff that would bolt onto almost any SBC. I might have to convert to TPI first, but it sounds like one or the other system may be doable.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer
Cyrus Welch wrote:

    Any Turbo system with the impeller at that great a distance from the engine is going to be a joke. First you have to take in to account the decreased speed of the exhaust gasses the further from the engine they get. Hot Gasses flow faster then gasses that have cooled. Not to mention you will get 6 times the turbo lag with something like this. Then their is the extra weight issues. I don't care what a chassis dyno says, you will see the weight in the 1/4 mile times. Charles
Charles Bendig wrote:

One would think so. And this has always been the assumption. However all the reviews I have seen on this say this is not the case however take a look at this review http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0502_turbo/ about it. One of the things I seem to find on this thing is that it needs no intercooler as the air pipe to the engine provides that. It also seems the turbo itself is designed for running where it is, and since the temp is lower at that distance supposedly the turbo still works fine but will last longer due to the lower temps.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

thund3rstruck snipped-for-privacy@otmail.comREMOVE wrote:

    Why would I waste the cash to build a S-10 trailer queen? Unless it's a *Race* only vehical (such as a sprint car) Ill drive the sucker on the streets.
    Just because some people are too pussy to drive a 9 second ride on the street doesn't mean everyone is. Charles
Charles Bendig spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

Wow. Really wadded your undies, eh? :)
The original poster, iirc, said he wanted to trailer it...
NOI
Thund3rstruck_n0i wrote:

    No I mentioned in a post about a Vehical a shop owner I know built. His customer that owns it trailers it. Why? Because of ground clearance & appeariance items the truck is not legal, not safe to drive on the road. Built as a show car, Something I will not have.
    I beleave cars are ment to be driven, not trailer queens that only see a few miles a year at outdoor car shows. I beleave if it's close enough to street legal, and safe to drive, Do it.
    Im not saying drive your 900 HP car in the rain, or everyday. But just cause you run 12's in the quartmile is no reason to make a car a trailer queen.
    I have a Off Road truck that I trailer to and from the trails. Why? because I aint scared to break it, roll it, or smash it. Yet when im not going out trail driving with it, I drive it on the streets. Charles
Charles Bendig spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

When my dad used to do some SCCA racing, he used to prep his car at home and trailer it the 3 hours or more to the track. He did that because it saved time there, and he always was worried about having to tow it that distance home.
Then one day he exploded a piston. :)
NOI
Crap, at least Charles had the sense to say it. Problems with remote mounted turbos do not out weight the benefits of underhood mounting, remote mounting may even mitigate some benefits of adding the turbo in the first place. Lag would be retarded even with a blow off valve. And what about oiling, return specifically. Pressure feed, gravity return?
Sounds like an ass idea to me. I've got a "tornado" carb spacer you can stick on it too, says it's good for +50 hp....... so it must be....right?
matt borland wrote:

    Who offers this kit? Depending apon the application & costs, for cars under 3,300 pounds.... Engeeners Brain, Inventors Budget...
Charles
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 03:35:17 GMT, Charles Bendig

I read an article in CHP magazine about this subject. It seems to be on the level. Link below. Getting the turbo out from under the hood looks to be a great idea.
http://www.ststurbo.com/home
wrote in message

IIRC it's an Eagle kit. 99.99% sure.
-Matt- "..."
"The differtances are heads, bore sizes, cranks, crank journials, mains, ect. Internially they are different, and some items DO NOT interchange (IE 350 Crank in 305, or 350 heads on 305)."
Actually, the 305 and 350 share the same crank from the factory 3.48". Also, the heads from a 350 will fit just fine... the only thing to concern yourself with is valve clearance. I swapped a set of L98 heads onto my 305 a few months ago,
With a 305, you'll want to to limit the intake valve size to 1.94 (which is what most 350's came with from the factory anyway), unless you buy an angled aftermarket set (expensive). A 2.02 intake valve will obviously not clear the 305's limited bore though....
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

    While the storke of 3.48 is the same, the Cranks are not.
    Also I hope you enjoy a compression ratio of about 7:1 with your 350 heads. If you used the wrong head gaskets, enjoy the damaged bores as well.
Charles

He has a point since the 305 heads have 58cc combustion chambers and the 350 heads are most likely 76cc, or at best 64cc before milling...
-Matt- "..."