hypertech programmer questions

I'm considering the purchase of one of these tools. I hope someone here can guide me to make the right decision.
Is the hypertech the best choice for tweaking my OBD1 95 Z28 or are there
better alternatives?
I'm aware of LT1 Edit and can hold my own with a PC but wonder about how much I need to know regarding my PCM / ECM and its parameters. I'm also aware that I can send my PCM away and have it reprogrammed for about $125.
My car has just about 100k on it and the idling oil pressure stands at 20 psi and on hot days a little lower than that so I don't think it's in the best interest to push for too much performance. Still, I've change tire diameter and given myself a 3% speedo / odo error and would like to fix this. The car shifts (automatic) with a little more firmness than I want and wouldn't mind softening it a tad from 1st to 2nd. I'm not sure if the hypertech model 345752 can display and clear any DLC codes and would like to hear about that from someone who knows.
Like said, I'm looking for alternatives as well as information on the Hypertech Programmer.
Thanks for any help.
The Hypertech programmer will not display or clear codes. It just does minor reprogramming task. It will correct your speedometer however. I bought one used on eBay for $125. It was worth that. In my opinion it's not worth the $350 they want for a new one. I used their "performance tuning", which just speeds up your ignition advance curve a little, and then put in a 160 degree thermostat and set the fans to come on at a lower temperature. It made no perceptible difference in top end horsepower, although it did help with the bottom end torque a bit. Now I can climb the hill where I live at 50mph in 6th gear.
Gary

I appreciate your reply.
The limited reprogramming issue with the HPP seems to be a general consensus when doing searches on the net. I've found a couple of web sites that have caught my interest. One in particular is http://www.madz28.com I'm thinking that buying or building a cable that connects to my DLC from a PC serial port and then buying PCM editing software may be more than I need to learn and spend. Ion of madz28.com seems to have a cheaper and safer solution but I haven't figured it out yet. I think one plan is to exchange PCMs and the other is to buy email support for user reprogramming. The warnings that go with reprogramming on http://www.caruting.com/ are nothing short of intense. A PC crash or untimely power failure could be mildly devastating and moderately expensive but majorly inconvenient.
I do want to fix my 3% speedometer / odometer error and modify the lunging shifts which become a bit tiresome in traffic. Increasing the engine torque is provocative. I've fallen in love with this mild mannered Camaro's 325 ft lbs but certainly a little more is better. :)
From what I can tell, you are quite lucky to have gotten the HPP for that price. I watched one auction take it to $280 plus $15 shipping. They are sold brand new in several places for $329 new and shipped for free. The MSRP is well over $400. Hypertech has gone to lengths to make their programmer a one user item and I can picture myself using one less than a half dozen times in my ownership lifetime. I think you're correct in the real value.
regards