Hypertech Power Programmers

Just got through watching Trucking'...and they showed a great way to increase the trucks performance by adding a Hypertech Power Programmer III. Has anyone had the opportunity to add on of these to their trucks and can you give us the pros and cons of this device???

Reply to
LoveyaMan

Think of it this way, if there was a way to make a vehicle more powerful and more fuel efficient without accecting emissions, don't ya think the automaker would have figured it out in the YEARS they spent designing the powertrain?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Do you REALLY consider that an answer to my inquiry???

Reply to
LoveyaMan

Actually yes, I do. What part didn't you understand Einstein?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

My experience with an HPP3 was on a 98 Z28. I liked the tranny and speedo correcting adjustments, but the tunes all produced pinging even when running 93 octane so I ended up not using the tunes ... and I actually seemed to get the most performance with a replacement air box/lid.

Now I have a DiabloSport Predator for my 01 Tahoe (DiabloSport emailed a custom tune for free) which has more options. I think to get the most out of any aftermarket tuner you should probably also do other mods (ie, freer-flowing exhaust, headers, intake/air box, etc) but even if you don't do all that some of the other options are nice to be able to control.

Reply to
Markeau

Well I think if your truck is stock you are not really going to be able to tell much difference by adding one of these programmers or in the old days changing the chip.

I do believe on some of the diesel trucks you can get some real power gains by using a device like this.

The basic rule is that as HP increases fuel economy decreases....

I think you'll find that if you are looking for some real gains in HP it will take some additional modifications to either aid in fuel delivery or air...

On a gas engine I would not place much value on just changing the computer chip or the programming. of the chip. If you were willing to invest in some additional modifications along with the chip then I would go for it, otherwise I would not use one.

Just my view, I'm sure you'll have some different responses.

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

put one in my 89 chevy 350 noticed a bit of difference and some more power I like it all personal preference though.

Reply to
Jeff

These hand held units are good to change shift points and firmness, correct for different tire sizes, and remove rpm and speed limiters and they are easy to use. Depending on the truck you will not gain much power. If you want more power, ( yes doc it can be done :-), you need to get a tune. Just by removing TM (torque management) you will feel a noticeable difference. Power gains will come from modifying the fuel trim levels and smoothing out timing curves. This will cost more $450 and you will need to swapout your PCM. (if you don't do the tune yourself)(hptuners.com)

Reply to
calhoun