82 Z28 heater core removal

in the process of giving a would-be purchaser a test drive, the heater core in my 1982 Z28 decided to puke hot coolant all over their feet :( Needless to say, its gotta come out.

In the meantime I've got a union bypassing the core so the car is driveable. Under the dash, I've removed the small plate that protects the cables, and have managed to remove the right hand "case cover". From there, I cannot see what else has to come out!

the left portion of the case looks as if the centre console has to come out to access some of the screws. My Haynes manual doesn't mention this requirement (82-86 didn't, 87-92 did) the drawings in the manual are cutaways, and are very hard to decipher.

are there some bolts thru the firewall that I have to remove from under the hood? what else needs to come out to expose the heater core? I guess if I knew what one looked like, I might have a better idea of how it'll go in (considering the two hose inlets are in a finite position).

any help is appreciated! bmoney

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

I did my '85 a few years back. The only things holding the heater core in are two straps, each strap held with two screws. After removing the hoses under the hood, you only need to remove one of these screws on each strap.

The trick is getting to those straps. I don't believe I had to remove the console completely. I think you can just slide it back a few inches to gain access to the plastic plenum cover over the heater core.

I do recall removing the dash pad to gain access to the main dash bolts in order to move the dash rearward a couple of inches to gain clearance needed to get things out of there.

Good luck! KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt