Set Myself on Fire... Thin Plastic Fuel Lines Anyone???

Page 2 of 2
"CBHVAC"

yes i know that. but by putting the oxygen into a propane tank he added fuel into the mixture. normaly there is no oxygen in the actylene and no fuel in the oxygen and the flame can't travel up the hose. but if you add oxygen to a fuel tank it can travel up the hose and past the regulator.
if you don't believe me.....try it. take an oxygen cylinder and attach it to a used propane tank.(you'll need to put a reversed thread on for the propane tank) fill it. now use the propane tank as you normaly would use an oxygen cylinder.
<snip>

I have never heard of a cutting torch like that. The standard around here is Oxy-Acetylene rig. A few people around here use Oxy-Propane cutting torches. Most use 40 pound RV tank, or a fork lift type tank. I have seen a few that use a regular gas grill style 20 pound tank.
Have any links to the Gasoline-oxy rig? Charles

seen,
mentioned.
Yea...let me dig em up...:)
http://www.opetrol.com/Testimonies.htm
ITs Chinese, but it works...and that alone sold me.. Cheap as hell to run too.

around
Thanks. I e mailed the link to my business partner. The one who does all our torch work. We probably dispose of around 60 gallions of gasoline a month scrapping cars.So for us, the gasoline would be free. Charles
I think anyone that tries that experiment is:
A piece of excrement, with no brain looking to kill themselves and a few neighbors. Don't you?
Refinish King

the
the

The regulator valve or the oxy tank valve? You're supposed to open the oxy tank valve all the way.
"3. Open the oxygen cylinder valve very slowly until the regulator high pressure gauge reaches its maximum reading, then turn the valve all the way open. The oxygen cylinder valve is turned all the way out because this valve has a double seat or back seat. In the all-out position, theis seat closes any possible opening throught which the high pressure oxygen might escape along the valve stem."
Modern Welding: ISBN 0-87006-433-9:

Flash backs can occur in the torch and travel back. That's' why the best setups always include flash arresters.
"This reverse flow of the flame is called, "FLASHBACK". It can cause hose fires, regulator ruptures, and fuel cylinder fires".
Notice the book said fuel cylinder fires. Because of this, if you only have the bucks for one arrestor, get one for the fuel tank. But, they make them for both. Typically, any problems with the oxy side will be because of overpressure of acetyline, which should never be more than about 15psi.
Another good tip is too never stand in front of your regulators. If they blow, they'll put that adjustment screw right through your head or chest.
The bottom line is, nothing is perfect and anyone messing with this stuff should be super carefull. One thing I didn't see mentioned here is the use of inert gas as a safety precaution. It's is best to have a big ol' tank of nitrogen handy for purging. Gas can't explode in the absense of oxygen. Pump a buncha nitrogen into, say, a muffler you're going to do some welding on. I had a coworker who lost his beard and some pride to a muffler that had some unburned gas fumes in just the right concentrations when he fired that torch. In another episode, a worker was killed and a small building partially destroyed when an oxy/acetyline rig blew one of the regulators because someone didn't relieve the pressure behind the regulators the previous time they were used. Shit happens. Don't let it happen to you.
nb

valve
oxy
I was always told the oxy tank valve.

way
I knew that, but, since I did it as an apprentice, and promply got my ass chewed out for it, in the years since, only open it about 3 turns, and thats not fully open...but for brazing on CU its more than enough to get the job done...since we dont crank the regs up high anyway...

there,
On the acetyline side, I can see it..not on the O2 side...

And again...can not see it on an O2 line..

have
them
Good god...15PSI would require so much o2 that I would have a flame large enough to braze CU from 15 feet away, and start a damn good fire.

use
of
muffler
regulators the

We have to use Nitrogen for a purge gas. Our reasons are different from others. We use it to remove any air in the copper that will lend to flakes in the lines once we seal them due to oxidation. These flakes then clog metering devices and such and make a general mess in the lines. CO2 can be used as well, but we prefer to use that for blowing out condensate lines that are gummed up.

Yep, we had to do the same thing tig welding ss tubing. That's the whole pricipal behind gas shield welding. Unfortunately, I had to quit welding due to potential eye probs. Oh well. I can still drink beer! :)
nb
I purge SS and Monel tubing/pipe with Argon. Cut with Plasma 95% of the time.

funny shit!
I bet the look on his face, was like that of my neighbors who were welding gas tanks?
Refinish King

S.S.I.N. spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<snip>

Are you 100% sure that the tank had just O2 in it? (O2 = Oxygen, in the rare case no one knows...) O2 by itself will not burn. For a fire to exist you need something combustable (Paper, gas/oil, propane, magnesium, etc.) and O2.
Holding a lit match in front of an Acetalyn torch with only the O2 on will just cause it to burn faster...(which is basically how NO2 works. :) )
NOI