Squeaking brakes on "praticular new" 2000 Camaro SS

I have had a 2000 Camaro SS w/ 14,000 miles on it for a few years now, since I got it new in 2001. I have not driven it regularly for this or that for
the last few years, but have maintained it great ... seasonal oil changes (Mobile one sync), tire rotation, air cleaner, etc. and kept it mint and stored properly for a few winters.
Anywho -
I have now started to drive it all the time and the brakes squeak when applied but seem to respond properly. If I apply the brake and hear the squeak, then release the brake and reapply the noise deadens.
I am not sure what this is or if it is normal. I have always applied brake cleaner and keep the wheels moved during storage. It just seems so annoying in the spring / summer now when I stop.
My extended warranty is about to end but I don't know as I had a battery die and that wasnt covered, I would assume brakes are disposables as well.
Is this normal or did I miss a bulletin ?
Thanks in advance.
buzzsaw wrote:

Sounds like you just need some anti squeal lube on the OUTSIDE of your pads. (Assuming the pads do not need to be replaced.)
Please tell me you are not applying brake cleaner to your brakes and rotors.
Interesting. How can I put the lube on the pads without taking the wheel apart?
Can I apply the lube to the rotor it self ?
thanks

buzzsaw wrote:

You'll want to apply the lube on the outside of the pads, just as I said. You should never apply anything on your rotors or on the friction side of the pad. (The pad which is squeezed against the rotor.) During the normal course of installing new pads, you apply the lube to the back of the pad; the same side which is pressed by the caliper frame.
Why don't you want to apply to the rotors or to the inner portion of the pads? All that would serve to do is decrease friction and your ability to stop as well as pit your rotors and prematurely degrade your pads. You can pick up anti squeal lube at most car parts stores, or have a mechanic friend do it for you if you are more comfortable with that. The lube is super cheap. (Less than $5).
Martin '01 Formula - MTI Air Box Lid, K&N Filter, Hurst-6, SLP Cold Air Induction & Smooth Intake Bellow Corsa Catback '83 V45 Magna
Thanks for you help.
I went to store and per an employees recommendation I got a small package of CRC Synthetic Brake & Caliper Grease. It is in two small packages and black. It says to use on every brake job - Do not use on internal caliper pistons & wheel stud/nut threads.
Is this the right stuff? I wanted to check with you before I open it.
If it is ... I can go right between my rims and rub on the brake from the outside? Use my finger / cloth?
Thanks for very everything.

you are about to ruin your brakes do not apply grease from outside it is only for reassembly on the moving parts not anywhere near friction material any fix of this problem requires dissassembly cost you 10 bucks and a couple hours time

PCK wrote:

Thank you! I was not about to repeat myself a third time. But hey, if someone can fine a way to apply anti squeal lubricant between the caliper frame and the outside of the pads ... without removing their rims ... they could make a gazillion dollars.
Yes ... I'm a dick.

Better a honest dick than sugarcoating it for someone Martin.... truth is some people look for advice and listen.. others just type to see their words in print.
Bruce

BarracudaDesigns wrote:

On a side note, if you live in the Northern Virginia area, I'll be MORE than happy to show you how to do it.
Less of a dick now,     Martin     '01 Formula -    MTI Air Box Lid, K&N Filter, Hurst-6,             SLP Cold Air Induction & Smooth Intake Bellow             Corsa Catback w/Premium Tips     '83 V45 Magna
GLK9MM wrote:

That was for buzzsaw's benefit, but that applies to anyone who isn't sure how to do this. Standing invite.