brakes squeaking

I bought a used BMW 328is a few days ago, and I noticed the brakes are squeaking a bit. Any ideas what causes this or how to fix it?

Reply to
mike7411

Since asbestos has been banned from being used in brake pads here in Australia (and I'm sure in many other parts of the world) brake squeal has been an issue for a lot of vehicles. Simply changing the pads to a more expensive compound MAY fix or at least relieve some of the squeal, we find the cheaper pads give the most brake squeal, obviously if you're getting ripped off buying your brake pads then you may still have cheap pads, Bendix ceramic's are our preferred choice. There are many other causes however. You can also buy an anti-squeal spray at most automotive stores which is the cheapest and possibly the least effective solution which you spray onto the brake rotors. In the same stores you can normally purchase anti-squeal compounds which are designed to cover the metal side of the brake pads and once dried turns into a rubbery compound which tries to eliminate the very high speed vibrations (squeal) that occur between the pad and the caliper/ piston. A lot of cars are meant to have a very thin metal plate (anti- squeal plate) clipped on to the metal side the brake pad that sometimes gets removed inadvertantly when being changed by inexperienced 'mechanics'. Worst case scenario is your brake rotors are grooved (not nice and smooth like they should be, normally from running the pads out of material at some earlier time) and need machining or replacing. As always, there are certain procedures and precautions you should follow when working on brakes, and unless you have experience in this area it would be best left to a qualified mechanic.

Reply to
autoprogosford

Since asbestos has been banned from being used in brake pads here in Australia (and I'm sure in many other parts of the world) brake squeal has been an issue for a lot of vehicles. Simply changing the pads to a more expensive compound MAY fix or at least relieve some of the squeal, we find the cheaper pads give the most brake squeal, obviously if you're paying too much for your brake pads then you may still have cheap pads but Bendix ceramic's are our preferred choice. There are many other causes however. You can also buy a special anti-squeal brake spray (CRC brand) at most automotive stores which is the cheapest and possibly the least effective solution which you spray onto the brake rotors. In the same stores you can normally purchase anti-squeal compounds which are designed to cover the metal side of the brake pads and once dried turns into a rubbery compound which tries to eliminate the very high speed vibrations (squeal) that occur between the pad and the caliper/piston. Also a lot of cars are meant to have a very thin metal plate (anti-squeal plate) clipped on to the metal side the brake pad that sometimes gets removed inadvertantly when being changed by inexperienced 'mechanics'. Worst case scenario is your brake rotors are grooved (not nice and smooth like they should be, normally from running the pads out of material at some earlier time) and need machining or replacing. As always, there are certain procedures and precautions you should follow when working on brakes, and unless you have experience in this area it would be best left to a qualified mechanic.

Reply to
micko70