Sticky Steering wheel

Here's a strange question - if you've been keeping up with us, you know we just got my daughter's '77 Trans Am running again a few weeks ago after an overhaul. The steering wheel has been sticky ever since we've had the car, maybe from heat and age (we're in S. TX but the car came from CA and AZ) or maybe from too many greasy fingers working on the car and touching the steering wheel. No matter how much we clean it, we can't get all the sticky off. It's better than it was, but still not right.

Any ideas about what to clean it with? I'm probably just going to put on a steering wheel cover but I'd like to get it clean first. It's one of those hard plastic late-70's steering wheels, not a proper Trans Am steering wheel.

As an aside, we took the car out to the local car club "Saturday Night Cruise" through the Sonic. We met the car club guys, had a quick shake, and she was the hit of the car club with her red Firebird. Made her day.

Thanks, Kerry

Reply to
Kerry

I ve found that one of those "Orange" cleaners.. worked real well on the interior of my firebird

Reply to
BarracudaDesigns

Kerry,

I would also try those 'orange' cleaner products on your steering wheel. Who knows what the heck is on it.

Your Firebird sounds like a great project, I just did a similar one with my '68 Camaro, my daughter just turned 16, she actually learned to drive on this car. How many 16 year olds can say that?! A few weeks ago we went cruising downtown in Minneapolis at a car event, man did we draw some attention-- nothing like a 16 year old girl with long brown hair and a tank top driving in first gear down a street lined with classic cars, at night, in a red '68 Camaro with a 383 stroker! (dad riding shotgun of course and kid brother riding in the back seat). Guys kept yelling, 'come on baby, let's race!' You could almost see the grey hairs sprouting on my head.

I think I've put the love of old cars into both my kid's brains. I remember last year I nearly traded my camaro for a GTO and my son was in tears, saying he didn't want to ride around in a GTO! I think he'd change his tune if he ever took a ride in one!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Sounds like you're doing a good job. This one is Jessica's price and joy, she enjoys the attention she gets in it (can't say I do though, like you say, it's a dad thing). I haven't fixed the carb yet so the secondaries don't work yet. No rush, she can already outrun me in my '04 Ford truck, no telling what she'd do with the secondaries working!

It feels like too many years of greasy hands on the wheel, combined with lots of heat. I'll try the orange cleaner, I think we've got some. I even tried rubbing it with Gojo, it helped but still didn't fix it.

Keep up the good work with the kids, I even got Jessica to help me build her engine. Now she knows more about engines than all the guys she knows! I recorded it, maybe I'll get her to post the sound on her web site.

Thanks, Kerry PS I posted these before, here's my '76 Firebird and her '77 T/A

M> Kerry,

Reply to
Kerry

Kerry, I haven't seen those pics of your cars before, I love the '67 bird. Your daugther's car is a great classic too, maybe she could have it painted black too, with a gold bird on the hood...I remember some came from the factory like that. I can tell your daughter loves that car! She even looks a lot like my daugther-- both have long brown hair. What state do you guys live in? Must be down south because you mention it being very hot out--

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Yep, South TX, on the Gulf coast, not all that hot usually but plenty humid! She's lucky it's not my old 67 Firebird, I painted it back with a black interior, and no a/c. I was much more macho back then, I like the a/c now...

;-) Kerry

Terry wrote:

Reply to
Kerry

Try Castrol Super Clean. Worked great on one of our work vans..

Reply to
CBHVAC