VATS(?)

I posted this question about 4 months ago, but the problem really didn't start bothering me till now. When I start my car cold, no problem. But when I try cranking it over after I've been driving for a while, approx. 1
out of 3 times it won't turn over. I have to sit there and wait 3 minutes before trying again, and then it turns over fine. Does this sound like a VATS problem? If so, where can I find information on bypassing and/or disabling it? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks, Ben
--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
FSUguy rambled on about something in

Does your vats/security lite come on when you're having the problem?
NOI
The security light comes on whenever I try to turn on the car even when I don't have the problem for about 4 seconds, but if I leave the key in the ignition when it doesn't start, it takes longer before I can start it, so I never really have a chance to see if the security light is on. -Ben
So I timed the problem today, and it takes 3 minutes or less before I can turn it over. According to some other sources (fbody.com), it should take between 4 and 5 minutes. They said it might be the starter solenoid. Is this a difficult job to do yourself? I have jack stands, so I can get it off the ground, but are there any special tools required? Thanks. -Ben
The only problem is that I can't get my hands up in that spot to push the shim into place. What would you recommned using to move it into place? Maybe a hanger... I might try that tomorrow. -Ben
When I hear a whining after the engine starts, that's because the gap is too small right? If I had half a shim, which bolt should I put it on? The one closest to the flywheel or the one farthest away? -Ben

too
one
A quick check to determine the need for shims is to mount the starter, remove the inspection cover, and insert a 1/8" hex or Allen wrench (or a 1/8" drill bit) between the shaft on the starter and the OD of the flywheel teeth. If the gauge will not fit then shims are needed. 1/2 a shim on outside pad only, puts the starter closer to the flywheel. here's a link that details setting it up correctly. http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page169.html
Do you know the torque specifications off-hand? -Ben