Wanting to replace engine - 93 Firbird 6 Cyl

Page 1 of 2
So I just bought a 93 Firebird, my first dip into the F-Body. I love the car, and its going to be my project car. I want to through in a V8, but dont know how viable this is, and where or what type to toss in
there. Was hoping to get some advice from the Vets around here.
And please dont get heated with the amount of quesitons I ask, I have plans for alot of work on this car, and hope to obtain all your knowledge you all can offer.
Adams
yeah i was wondering the same thing, how much work it would be to do this... i heard the the wire harness is the hardest part.. when converting a v6 to v8. i guess you will be going with an LT1 engine?

For a V8, you don't have much choice but to go with an LT1 or LS1. Any other wouldn't fit with the engine tucked under the windshield like it is on 4th gen cars.
I've done more than my share of engine swaps and conversions, and that is a project I wouldn't take on. *Everything* has to swap over. You'd need a complete donor car side by side with yours, and then another $600 for a wiring harness unless you're really good with custom wiring. From the fuels lines to the exhaust to the shocks and struts are all different. I helped a buddy put an LT1 in a Jeep and that was easier than what you're proposing.
That said, I thumbed through a magazine article where they stuffed a big block Chevy into a 4th gen Camaro. I can't imagine how they got it in there, but if you're going to go through the trouble...
-rev
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

I was wanting to go with the LS1... THis was my project car... so the work is all good. I wasnt going for cheap either. I wanted to buy a new engine... I found an LS1... that came with everything on it, beside ECM, and wiring harnes... but thats all good... I can buy those myself... as for shocks and struts... I planned on new ones prior to begining this project... Any suggestions for this? If anyone can point me in the right direction on how to kick this off... it would be greatly appreciated... also I have a little time on this... since Im stationed in germany, then off to korea.. the project wont officially start for a good 1.5 years plus... enough time to save a good amount of cash... I was just going to stockpile parts till I got back to the states... whenever that is.
Thanks for the reply rev.
Adams
On 16 Aug 2006 11:48:41 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com"

If it were me doing the planning, I'd take all of that money that you are saving and buy a Z that is in good shape already. Until I had the cash for the Z, I'd drive the V-6 like I stole it, putting suspension upgrades as cash is available and then transferring those upgrades over to the replacement Camaro. That's the best way IMO to get yourself a V-8 F-body.
It's not an easy task to go from a v-6 to v-8, since like others have said, you'll have to replace the engine, wiring harness/ECM, struts, springs, sway bars, transmission (possible for strength purposes), and rebuilding the rear differential (same strength reasons).

Okay... since that seems to be the concensous. I will replace the suspension as I planned, and most likely rebuild the engine.... bottom line.... what could I get out of a stock V6 3.4? I do enjoy it right now... but I know I could make it so much better.
Adams
On 16 Aug 2006 22:41:05 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com"

The only thing that I would do to a V-6 would be to install a nitrous kit, a fogger system if I could find one. 50 hp or 75 hp shot, upgradable to 100-150 hp would be plenty on that V-6. Life expectancy of the motor is sure to drop but then I guess that thems the breaks. :-) I say the fogger style because you can always transfer it over to the V-8 car later like the suspension upgrades. Good luck with planning out your future hot rod aspirations.

I know Trans Am Creations website (tacreationsusa.com, oddly enough) has the breakdown, but you do NOT need to replace any suspension pieces or even the rear axle in a v6 to LT1 swap. They are the same pieces for the most part outside of the v8 cars getting rear discs...
Tranny...yes. Bolt pattern differences and the fact the v8 version has more clutch packs makes that a necessity.
Mounts, harness coming out of the firewall, ECM....certainly. Radiator needs to be the twin fan LT1 version as well.
I have a 95 v6/auto Camaro with a dead 3.4L...I have thought this swap over, but not a big fan of Opti-spark...going to a 95 Mustang GT convertible instead....an already running car helps...
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

How did I miss this...
Funny thing, the LT1-era v6 car fuel lines run from the driver's side shock tower...
These things are hanging in my car right now connected to nothing since the intake manifold is off...
Anyway, I read that to get them to work on an LT1 swap, all that needs to be done is unhook them from the clip holding them to the fender well and stretch them a smidge and connect to LT1 engine. Presto. Done with that part.
The 3.4L car AC system also is compatible with the LT1. Compressor swaps over no problem. You can use a v6 fan instead of the LT1 twin fans, which I have read to be rather finicky itself...v6 fan = 16", LT1 fans = 12" each.
Of course, what was a somewhat easy car to work on becomes a PITA in terms of working room with a v8 under the hood, but you only live once...
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Ideally, you're going to need a wrecked V8 version to swap parts off of. If you're in an area that doesn't care about emissions, you can just go with a carbed version (not to mention suspension/etc from a v8 version)
                    NOI
As for suspension, since you said you had a good amount to spend on this car, my suggestion would be Koni double adjustable shocks all around; the only problem with these is they're usually about $1,500 for a full set. You could also get a good set of Bilstein shocks for about $300 that perform very well also. I would leave the stock V6 springs on; they will have the same effect as if you were to get a set of hotchkis or eibach springs, and that way you don't have to spend any money(unless you wanted those too). You will definitely need some subframe connectors because the V6 frame was not meant to take the torque of a V8, and for these cars BMR makes the best ones. You should also get a better torque arm to help keep your stock steel driveshaft intact.. All of these things will help the car be a better car, and not necessarily a better V6 or V8. The big problem with this swap is that it's a 93, and not a 94-95, or a 96-97; which means that you will have to do some other MAJOR modifications as well as shoehorning a different engine in there.
FBodyFreak wrote:

Thanks all that information was a GREAT help. I have decided to get the suspension on this pristine, keep on doing mods that I can port over to something a little newer that can handle the kind of project I am planning, then just bide my time, looking around for something that someone want to get rid of (Which you can always find around). Bottom line, how transferable is most stuff from a V-6 93 to something newer... i believe the whole suspension will be good to go... as will any sound equipment obviously.. though I do plan on getting a custom box for the trunk... hopefully that is the same in the newer F-Bodys.
Or is there any engine you all know of, that will go into this period? other than stock, that is a bit stronger?
Adams
FBodyFreak wrote: You will definitely need some

1. Swap to the aluminum v8 driveshaft.
2. Same car under the sheetmetal, v6 or v8. A v6 car handles v8 power just fine. It is the same car, period.
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

I'll buy that, but aren't at least the springs different?
I've gotta wonder about the transmission. In 3rd gen cars, the 2.8 and 5.0/5.7 were absolutely different just because of the bell housing for the 60 degree V6. The T5 manual transmissions used smaller input shafts. If you swap to a V8 on a 3rd gen then a new transmission is absolutely required.
But I thought the 4th gen cars used 3.8 derivative V6 engines (3.8/3800/4.3). Those are 90 degree V's just like the LT1 so wouldn't the bell housing fit? Granted, the 5-speed from a V6 would grenade behind an LT1. If so, then wouldn't a 4L60 from a V6 be the same as a V8?
-rev
Damn.. .all great info... May reconsider the project. For now, am going to build up the suspension, and decide on the future later... May do the idea of buying a beat up TA, and use my car now as a donor, and make the TA my project.... Decisions... decisions. Also I got a Aluminum driveshaft just waiting to be installed now, but Im confused on something, will it pass inspection with it. I see a safety loop now all over, but dont know if that is required.
Thanks for all your help all!!!!
SSgt Adams
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

It'll pass inspection with the aluminum driveshaft; that driveshaft safety loop is only required for NHRA racing, or if your car meets certain speed requirements(like 12.00 and under 1/4 mile) and you take it to a dragstrip.
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

Oh yeah, technically,. the springs are different and have different part numbers, but even drag strips guys swap to v6 springs for whatever reasons that escape me right now.
Some will say the car will dive in front with a v8 in it, bit remember the 3.8L is a PIG (heavier than an LS1 and maybe the LT1 as well) and the 3.4L isn't all the light itself.
The 3.8L is a 90 degree v6, but with the same 60 degree bell pattern as the FWD engines and Caddy Northstar--funny, strange, but true. Hence, the need for the v8 version, period. 3.8L and 4.3L, not related, other than being 90 degree v6s in that sense.
My deal with the Mustang GT fell through and my friend get enough money waved in front of him and he needed to get the car sold, so I'm on with a LT1 swap as well. Bummer, maybe, but I do like the Camaro body lines better.
I have a 3.8L in my camaro - wondering how it is heavier than an LS1. What's all this 90 / 60 degree talk too.
I love my little beastie... http://community-2.webtv.net/Z24PODS/2000ccc/
CLICK HERE wrote:

Easy. A 3.8L is all iron. An LS1 is all aluminum in the sport cars.
The 2.3L 4 cylinder in my Ranger is heavier than an LS1. Or really close to being such as it is also all iron.
The talk about degrees is about the angle between the cylinder banks. Or so I tell myself that, but it seems to work so far...
snipped-for-privacy@i70west.com wrote:

    The 2.3/2300/144 C.I. Ford I-4 (aka pinto motor) does not weight near what a LS1 does. The LS1 lost some weight over the older small blocks, maybe 480 to 550 pounds dressed, where a old all iron small block weights around 600 to 750 pounds dressed. That's with power accessories installed.
    Your Ford 2.3 I-4 weights around 375 dressed with the dual spark plug head, emissions controls, and power accessories. I have, with the help of a friend picked one up off the ground and set it in the bed of a pick up before.
    As for the 3.8 V6 Being all iron, no, just the block is. As for weight, less then a LS1. Charles