1999 Camry 6 cyl - check engine light

Question? My 1999 Camry LE, 6 cyl , has about 102,500 miles on it. Within the last 2 days the 'check engine' light came on and has stayed on. All fluid levels are o.k. What can the problem be and approximate cost to fix it? I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off when it goes to the shop. Hopefully someone out there can give some good, sound advice. Thanks!

Reply to
easyrider

Probably the O2 sensor(s), or something similar. It may not be cheap to fix, so call around town to all the Toyota dealers to get a free estimate, and then a price for your specific problem (they will interpret the computer codes to determine the exact problem).

You can also try an independent garage that specializes in Toyotas. But make sure you get a free estimate, and do not use general purpose garages like Sears, Midas, etc.

Reply to
Mark A

There are several places where you can borrow an OBD II code reader to find out what the trouble codes(s) are. AutoZone is one that will let you scan codes for free.

If the trouble code is P0440, then check to make sure the gas cap is tightened until you hear several clicks.

If the trouble code is something else, write down the code and report back.

Reply to
Ray O

AutoZone Parts Stores has a Tool Loaner Program, you can use the tool for free to see what the code is. If you are outside of California, there's a good chance the store clerk will actually do this chore for you. If you are in California, you'll have to do it yourself.

Get the tool. Go outside to your car. Connect the data cable on the tool to the data port mounted along the bottom edge of the dashboard in the area near where your left leg rests while driving. Turn the Ignition ot ON, but not Start. Record the codes. Reset the codes. Turn the ignition off, disconnect the tool and take it back inside.

If the Check light comes back on, compare the code(s) displayed then with those you record now.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well, to add a fine point to the Gas Cap suggestion, the cap could be worn out by now if it is the original. The cap has a diaphram in it that is supposed to prevent fumes from going out, but allow outside air to get in. The tank will become pressurized in this scenario, and if it fails to pressurize (cap is loose or the diaphram is broken) then the Evaporative Emissions Control System will throw a code.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The gas cap has a 10 year life. It should not be worn out by now.

Reply to
Ray O

Really! I didn't know that. I stand corrected.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really ;-)

Reply to