1998 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems

Last March the drive train stuck in 4WD Low after running on snow for 5-6 miles. It would not return to $WD high or Auto. Reversing gently (as I used to clear the problem on my old Range Rover) caused a mighty bang & I lost use of 1st gear! That required an entire new gearbox (at 72,000 miles). This week, on starting, the car engaged 4WD low itself (light lit on dash) despite being in auto on the switch. It corrected then started whining when in any gear with my foot off the gas. The local garage could find no transmission prob that I suspected & said was ok. The day aftyer, the car refused to select reverse and ground into park position., I am now informed I need an entire new transfer box at a cost of £2600 ($4500)! I am not amused...hasa anyone experienced these transmission failures (the car has never towed or been off road) or am I just unlucky.

Reply to
h3n2ry

I've had the same problem in my '97 Explorer. I had the transfer case replaced and the problem was solved...except for the fact that the slacker that replaced it did such a crappy job that it kept going out. I hope that the truth is that he really is a crappy mechanic and it's not just the crappiest car in the world.

Reply to
Katiefitter