2002 Explorer 4WD intermittent problem

In our only snow fall before the holidays i noticed the Auto 4WD wasn't engaging. Tried hitting 4WD High and it did nothing

Checked all the fuses, all were ok. Restarted the car and as if by magic the 4WD was working again. Stopped working a few days later and i isolated the "problem" to the two fuses in the engine bay fuse box, if removed, replaced the system would start working again. It's been ok for the last 4 weeks but with todays snow it died again. I checked it was working before driving off and it was. But 1/2 a mile down the road, in Auto 4WD the back end stepped out so i figured i'd move to

4WD HIgh, and once again nothing.I pulled over removed the fuses replaced and the system appeared to be working again, i engaged 4WD High the light came on but it was quickly apparent it was running in 2WD. Got home and couldn't get into the garage due to the slope. Removed the fuses again and replaced and the system seems to be fine again. I can only assume i'm resetting the system when i remove the fuses, if so does in point to bad control module?
Reply to
spencer_tye

i have a 94.the same problem the fuses are ok there is a connection in your transfer case that you can take out and clean, that corrects the problem. i have'nt had the chance to do that yet. mine started going out in a big storm last year. i would hit the 4x4 button a few times then it would come on. i used the 4x4 this summer 3 different times in the mountains 4 wheeling, no problems. then it snowed and got real cold, now it does'nt work at all. a guy i work with had the same problem on a 93 ranger, he pulled out the module and cleaned it, worked ever since, years ago. there is also a reset on my 94 in the rear driver side where your jack is where the wiper fluid container is. let me know what you find out.thanks

-- Message posted using

information at

marlow

My best suggestion is to have the 4WD module polled for trouble codes... Your shop will need a scanner capable of communicating with proprietary modules....

Since "rebooting" the 4WD module seems to allow the system to work for a short time, your concern would be with something that the module can't "self test" until the car is moving.... I might suggest removing and inspecting the two transfer case speed sensors for any ferrous deposits on the sensors.... But this is just a shot in the dark....

Also be aware that there are differences between Job ! and Job 2 Explorers for that MY...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks. Not done too much more with this as yet. But... pulling the battery -ve lead resets things exactly the same way as removing /reinserting the fuses.

The problem seems related to temperature/use. So if i switch from 4H to 4L (or visa versa) before starting a journey with the car cold i can hear the transfer case motor run but the dashboard lights never confirms the shift, and the buttons then become inactive. When i reset the system it then confirms the switch has occurred. After my run to or from work the system works without a problem. Unsure if this is due to the control module being cold, or perhaps the transfer case motor just has an easier task one that warms up a little. Plan to let the cabin warm up for 20mins or so tomorrow without driving anywhere as i figure this might point the finger at the module or the transfer case,

Reply to
spencer_tye

Thought i had this sorted the problem shifting from 4H to 4L was definitely dependent on cabin temperature. Running the car for 10mins to let the cabin warm allowed the shift to work every time before driving anywhere, similarly driving somewhere with the heat off meant the fault would still occur even after a 20mile run. Had planned to replace the control module. BUT tonight with a wet road i found that even with the cabin warm braking that activated the ABS would typically stop the 4WD from working, the buttons would become unresponsive and the auto4WD was running in 2WD only. This failure makes sense with the problem reoccurring with snow, since that works the ABS too. Tempted to change the control module anyway as something clearly isn't right there, but now doubting whether it'll get to the root of the problem

Reply to
spencer_tye