96 Mountaineer - rear hatch lighting question

Couldn't find a group for the Mountaineer, so I thought I'd try here.

I don't like the fact that the engineers didn't put a light in the rear cargo area (at least mine doesn't have one). When I have the rear hatch open, and am unloading or loading things in the back at night, I really can't see the cargo area, because it isn't well lit.

Anyone have any ideas for wiring a small dome-type light into the door itself (right around the place where the lock knob is) so that it shines into the cargo area? I think this would be a really good and functional addition to a pretty decent vehicle.

I'd be glad to hear any ideas from the group.

- Those who complain about others not being "team players" are the same ones who never give up the ball...

Reply to
CuriousJuryus

My 97 has a small cargo lamp directly above the cargo area. In fact, the vehicle is very well lit, two map lights, two door mounted lights, two bulb dome for 2nd row and again one in the cargo. I dont know, is one of your bulbs burnt out? or mabe a fuse?

CuriousJuryus wrote:

Reply to
Joe

---

Joe stepped up to the podium and delivered this of himself:

lights,

Nope.

No bulbs to burn out, no fuses to blow, and no light fixture at all inside the cargo area. There is the overhead map light thing just above the rear seats, but they are aimed towards the seats, and not into the cargo area. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. No light fixture of any kind, at all, inside the cargo area.

Which is why I asked about wiring up a brand new light fixture of some kind, right on the door, just about where the lock knob is, pointed into the cargo area. Did you miss that?

Reply to
<Use-Author-Address-Header

---

Joe stepped up to the podium and delivered this of himself:

lights,

Nope.

No bulbs to burn out, no fuses to blow, and no light fixture at all inside the cargo area. There is the overhead map light thing just above the rear seats, but they are aimed towards the seats, and not into the cargo area. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. No light fixture of any kind, at all, inside the cargo area.

Which is why I asked about wiring up a brand new light fixture of some kind, right on the door, just about where the lock knob is, pointed into the cargo area. Did you miss that?

Reply to
rayinfo

what? you dont have the glow in the dark carpet....yeah, I believe it

Reply to
Joe

My '98 has a small one located in the cargo area as did my '96 Explorer. Are you sure you even have a Mountaineer as they didn't exist in '96?

Reply to
Jim Tiberio