97 explorer problem

In the morning when I first start up my truck I have a hard time keeping it running. After I take off the problem goes away. I took it to a mechanic and by the time I got there it didn't have the problem anymore and he looked at me like I was a dumb broad. I have this problem more when it is cold outside. Any suggestion??????????

Reply to
sandypert

Two common problems are the IAC (gets gummy when cold and can't respond to the computers commands) and the intake gaskets.... they leak when cold and the seal improves as the engine warms.....

Any mechanic that views you as a "dumb broad" rather than a customer does not deserve a second visit. As a customer, I feel I deserve the best where-ever I may be shopping and I don't mind paying a bit more to be treated well and receive good value for my dollar. Cheap ain't.

You may need to leave the car with a shop overnight so that they might experience the concern and make some tests when the problem is occuring. If the tech can't verify your concern, he/she has no idea what to fix.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

i replaced my iac value and still have the same problem. Murrays said it might be my coolant sensor???????????????

Reply to
sandypert

OK..... it might be a lot of things. Some symptoms, any codes..... if the guy at Murrays was any good, he'd make more money as a tech than he does as a partsmonger.

Reply to
Jim Warman

it's winter again and my 97 explorer is acting up again. In the morning when i start up my truck i have a hard time keeping it going, it idals real high and i can't keep it started unless i take off and drive. after i'm started it runs just fine. i took it to a mechanic and he said it was something to do with the manifold and it would cost me at least $500 to fix. I told him if it was an air leak why does it only do this in the winter. In warm weather it runs just fine. and after i get it going the rest of the day it runs just fine. it just the first time in the morning every day. can anybody tell me what they think it might be.

Reply to
sandypert

going the

Either the IAC, or what he told you (that was a common problem). Takes a few hours to change the upper intake manifold gaskets...

Reply to
Rick

Not sure if I still have the TSB for this. If I find it I'll post a link...

Reply to
Rick