cannister purge solenoid? 94 explorer 4.0

I am replacing vacuum lines on my 94 EB Explorer 4X4 4.0. The rubber line coming from the charcoal cannister goes to a valve of some type on the intake. I am having a hard time identifying the valve in the service manual I have from Ford. It appears to be the cannister purge solenoid. The line is frayed thus being a vacuum leak that I am trying to fix. I was very carefully (not carefully enough) twisting the rubber hose at the fitting trying to separate the rubber hose from the tap of the unknown valve that sits underneath the air intake horn and the hose broke off along with the plastic tap off the unknow device that has an electrical line coming to it.

My question is this.....is this the cannister purge valve and when does it engage thus letting the fumes from the charcoal cannister into the intake. I have to replace this valve and I want to make sure I identify it correctly first before purchasing replacement.

Thanks,

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

If you just take it off and bring it with you to the ford dealer I'm sure they can figure out what you need. OTOH, a little jb weld would probably fix it. Stick a toothpick in the hole, slide the broke off piece over the toothpick, slather JB weld on it and let it start setting, pull the toothpick out, leave overnight, and you'll probably be as good as new if you treat it gently.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher