Cruise Control

My cruise control is not working in my 99 Explorer XLT. The dashboard lights show that I set it, but then when I move my foot off the accelerator, it starts losing speed.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Reply to
JDK2005

Here is the diagnostic routine for a 1999: Should be enough to fix it unless you have a more involved problem

Extracting and Clearing Codes (Self-Test Diagnostics)

WARNING: THIS TEST IS A KEY ON ENGINE OFF (KOEO) TEST ONLY THAT IS CONDUCTED IN PARK ONLY WITH EMERGENCY BRAKE FULLY ENGAGED.

Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, ensuring engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator lamp on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that the speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. NOTE: Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo.

Release the OFF switch. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RSM (resume), CST (coast), and SET/ACCEL. The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is pressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the light goes out for the previous switch. NOTE: If the ON switch is not pressed within 5 seconds after entering the diagnostic mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective. If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

2 flashes - Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch is defective, circuit is defective, or brake pedal is applied; Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) switch is defective, circuit is defective, or clutch pedal is applied. 3 flashes - Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is defective. 4 flashes - Vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective. Immediately after the static test has passed, the speed servo will then perform a dynamic test automatically by actuating the throttle lever from 1 mm to 10 mm of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe the throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of actuator cable, proper connection of actuator cable to throttle lever, and ensure throttle returns back to idle position. If improper connection and/or binding or sticking of actuator is observed, go to Symptom Chart. See: Symptom Chart Return ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to Symptom Chart. See: Symptom Chart
Reply to
ross via CarKB.com