Head Gasket or Water Pump?

I have a 95 XLT with 128K miles and have been experiencing two problems:

  1. a noise from the front end that sounds like tire noise (thumping).
  2. a slow leak of antifreeze.

There is no antifreeze in the oil, which helped me to think that this was probably a bad water pump (info I found online).

I just brought this into a shop and they are telling me that it's the head gasket and they want $2600 to replace it, and that's without new heads, just resurfacing the existing ones. First, that seems really high to me, especially without new heads. Second, I question this diagnosis since when I asked what symptoms are pointing them towards the head gasket, they simply think it is that just due to age.

Thoughts?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Schumacker

I'd have someone else take a look at it. You could be loosing AF from the radiator side tanks, those crimp on tanks often leak/seep a little, especially when cold. Could also be the water pump. Could be a hose. If you have a heater hose shut off valve, that could be leaking. I would not pay anyone $2600 to replace a head gasket. It's at most a one day job. 8 hours x 70 $/hr is $560 labor. Add $100 for all the parts and another $300 for head work (if you need it) and you are only up to $960.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Reply to
Shrek