Help: 2005 XLT Gas Gauge

The gas gauge on my 2005 Explorer XLT goes dead... below empty! There are at least 2 service bulletins released about this matter, but I'm at a loss for the solution, other than a trip to the dealer. I discovered yesterday that the gauge responds if the tank is half full or less. If the tank is over half filled, I loose the gauge. I suspect a bad connection somewhere, but I'm running out of possibilities. Can anyone shed light on the half tank/ full tank correlation? Or the fix? Thanks for your attention.

Reply to
TJN

Just a WAG, but that sounds like a sender problem to me.

Can you find the text for the service bulletins? That may well give you a clue as to the problem and a solution.

Reply to
PeterD

Not a WAG but something I have seen.... we have replaced a half dozen clusters or better for fuel gauge concerns in the last two or three years. Word of advice....proper testing should ALWAYS be performed before we give ourselves the chance to say "FUCK ME" .

Reply to
Jim Warman