2005 Escape XLT

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing a 2005 Escape XLT and am wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with the 05 Escapes. I've always been a Honda owner and have never experienced any issues but have heard many horror stories with Ford products. Not sure myself...

Thanks.

Reply to
Jay

My younger sister has a 2001 Escape (V-6, 2WD). Generally she has been very happy. Only problems I am aware of were:

Coolant Level Sensor failed - warranty item Cruise Control Cable connector would not stay attached - $13 (I installed a new cable) Radio Display was intermittent (common for some Ford Radios of that vintage) - $75 (I installed a part you can buy off the web).

The vehicle is now almost 4 years old and still looks good inside and out and drives nicely. I'd say it was at least as good as my older Sister's Honda Civic in terms of reliabilty and far ahead in terms of comfort and ease of use (at least for me). I almost bought myself an Escape last year, but decided to get a aturn Vue instead. The Vue was cheaper and "different" (mine is an AWD four cylinder Vue, with the now infamous VTi transmission). My Vue does get slightly better gas mileage than my Sister's escape. It also feels more open, but not as "tight." If I was buying again today, I'd either go for the Escape or the Civic CRV. I don't mean to knock the Vue. And if you like Hondas, you might want to check out the V-6 Vue. It uses a Honda V-6 engine and Honda Automatic transmission (basically the same engine as in the Pilot).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I did look at a CRV as well... only thing is that there is no ondemand 4x4 (like the Escape). Also considering a Tribute... I understad that the Tribute and Escape come off the same line. I'll also take a look at the Vue. Thanks.

Reply to
Jay

The 2001 XLT we own has had several issues. These are all detailed in ford truck enthusiast.com

We had defective windshield wiper, defective seat belt restraint, reprogrammed PCM and the final blow...a new transmission for $3.5K.

These issues were common in the 2001 apparently.

Others have said the newer models are much better.

Good luck

Reply to
goiner

My wife has a 2004 Limited. It has been flawless, however only has 14K miles. I have had great luck with Ford products. Currently have the '04 Escape, an '04 Lincoln LS and a '98 Mercury Mountaineer that looks and runs like new.

Larry

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

We have a 2005 Ford Escape 3.0L 4x4 I love the Vehical It offroads better than most people think I had it forge water that was 6 inches below the windows and had it with one wheel off the ground more times than I can count

Reply to
Mrmechanic