Outside Air Blows Warm

I thought the AC on my 96 Explorer 4.0 finally needed a shot of 134a when I noticed it was blowing warm outside air. it was cold outside too. i replaced a mixing damper or some sort of thing on my Cadillac once but as a CRS sufferer, i don't remember exactly what i did. coulds it be heater control valve? tia.

Reply to
Nerdlinger

There have been a lot of problems with the "blend door" on those Explorers. If you Google you can probably find the fix. It involves dropping the glove box and prying up the actuator. The part the actuator fits into (so it can move it) often breaks and will no longer turn. A small hole is drilled into the actuator shaft and a small nail (3D or so) is put into the hole and held with a dab of epoxy. There is an article with pictures on

You will probably need a small mirror and a flashlight.

I recently took it apart on my '97 and it was not broken. Now I'm going the change the thermostat. In my case it's not getting hot but temp gauge never gets up to normal so that would seem pretty obvious. Anyone know if a bad thermostat will cause the CEL to come on due to low coolant temp?

Reply to
Ulysses

Well, I changed the thermostat and that fixed part of the problem but still no heat. I remove the blend door actuator again and looked in there again and sure enough it was broken. It wasn't broken last week--at least it didn't look broken. So I did the nail trick and now it works great. Whoever figured that out should get some kind of humanitarian award.

Reply to
Ulysses