2000 Ford Explorer water in transcooler

2000 Ford Explorer X series VIN 4.0 OHV Auto Trans The crust of it: around Nov, Dec 2008 it was overheating, radiator low, no problem. Found the metal water tube that goes in front of the thermostat had a pinhole in it. JB Weld, cut rubber hose in half, and clamp it up, problem solved for time being. Later it developed another leak in the same area, and overheated, but the gauge didn=92t indicate it=85gee stuck gauge. Happens to my oil gauge all the time, after a mile or so, it pops up with pressure, and never any pinging or indication of low oil, or overheating. Anyway, here is the crust of the problem now. Arrive at work one day, and it pukes it guts out in the parking lot, again the gauge isn=92t indicating any overheating issue, and no pinging under power, or loss of power, it just heaves its guts out. Problem is I filled it with water on the first leak issue, and check the fluid level fairly often after the first time. This time it is heaving our pudding=85where in the heck did the oil come from=85come to find that the transcooler was pushing oil into the radiator=85wonderful right. Now the concern is water in the transmission as well, check the transmission, no water indicated on the stick, no bubbles, all pink and fine. No shift problems immediate. Later, as I didn=92t do it right then=85dummy, is separate the transmission from the radiator and install a transmission cooler externally. Ok=85now one day, it shifts into reverse funny, check the fluid=85now we have obvious water in the tranny=85great. I do believe I caught this within 4 days of it doing it, and immediately separated the radiator and transmission lines. Flushed the transmission, installed a new filter. It has been working well for over a month like this, but the problem is: When cold, it will shift into reverse as there is no problem at all, and all forward gears are fine, no indication of an issue. After driving to work though, approximately 9 miles, it will now hesitate shifting into reverse for about 5 seconds, shifts hard with a mild thunk, and go into reverse. Cold, again no problems. Sure: after 9 miles the oil has heated up, the tranny has warmed up, and things have expanded. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be: Electronic valve, band adjustment, eventual tranny in tiny parts in the pan J Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share the general story behind the issue. Thanks for any input
Reply to
terryf