Power Mirror Repair on '91, '92, '97

I have some power mirror problems on my '91 and '97 Explorers. Does anyone know how to take them apart? It is not obvious to me and I have not been able to find any instrucitons anywhere.

On my '91 they go up and down but not in and out but that might be the switch, but on my '97 I can hear the servo motor trying to move it but it's either stuck or slipping. If I could just get it apart without breaking it I could fix it...

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

All the power mirrors I've messed with basically had to be yanked out by pulling on the glass. The downside is there is the possibility you will break one of the plastic tabs that form the "sockets" that things snap in and out of. If I can find em I'll email you some photos from a camaro mirror. My 99GT was similar. I've never had to yank the explorers mirrors so don't know them for sure.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That's my main concern on plastic that's been out in the sun for 15 years--with my luck it'll break.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

The 92 service manual says to push the outer edge of the glass into the housing. Grip the inner edge of the glass and snap it out of the assembly. Remove two attaching nuts. Remove mirror from door and disconnect connector.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Ah. I have the manual on CD and couldn't find this info. I think I need to get used to how it's layed out.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ulysses

I was just looking thru my manual-on-cd looking at the wiring diagrams- I found the mirror info under "body".

For a 94 Explorer, here's the info: Mirror Glass, Power Outside Mirror, Explorer

Removal

  1. Push in on the bottom of the glass until it stops.

  1. Protect the mirror body with a rag or similar material at the top and insert a flat blade screwdriver between the mirror body and glass.

  2. Pry on the glass until it snaps loose from motor assembly. On Explorer Limited, disconnect the heater wires from the glass.

  1. Remove the screwdriver and continue to pull the glass by hand until it is completely unsnapped from the motor assembly.

Installation

  1. Make sure the rubber gasket on the motor is properly installed on the motor assembly.

  1. Position the glass assembly in the mirror and move glass around until it drops into place.

  2. Push on the center of the glass to snap it in place.

  1. Check glass for looseness. If loose, push on glass until it is fully seated.

Reply to
carbide

If the switch is like most, you can take it apart and clean the contacts... my 99 merc did the same as your 91 and this fixed it. took about 15 minutes start to finsh. On the 97, sounds like it has issues.

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

contacts...

Thanks, I'll try that if it turns out to be the culprit. First I'm gonna see if I can switch switches with my '92. I would have done it sooner but they always have something more urgent to fix!

On the 97, sounds like it has issues.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks for the instructions. I finally found it on my CD manual but your instructions are more detailed. OTOH my CD runs on Win 95 on a laptop.

Reply to
Ulysses