Power Mirror Conversion?

98 2WD Tacoma SR5 XCab V6

I noticed there's a knock-out for a power mirror switch in the driver's side door armrest. Is this a big deal to hook up?

Reply to
Scott

door armrest. Is this

Well, you'd need to buy power mirrors, and the switches.

However, before buying them, do yourself a favour, pop the blank, and look in to see if the wiring is actually there. Depending on how the truck was ordered, it may have the wiring in place, but most likely does not. If not, you'd of course need to pull wires through the door and up to the mirror mount.

Toyota is far 'better' than Detroit about not installing wiring in vehicles that aren't ordered with power options. Detroit tends to build in a complete wiring harness, and this allows the easy addition (or subtraction) of various DIOs at a premium.

On the plus side, adding power locks and power mirrors to a manual door isn't that difficult; power windows, on the other hand: just swap doors.

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

Thanks. I'll check it out. I have power windows and locks already. Sure would be nice if it's pre-wired.

Reply to
Scott

would be nice if it's

Since you have the rest of the power package, I'm going to guess:

Yes

the wiring is there. You basically have the power package minus the mirrors, so the wiring should be in place. The manual locks/windows wouldn't have the wiring in place. Let us know!

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

Of course there's wiring there for the windows and locks but nothing near the power mirror blank. Is this scabbed off the same circuit?

Reply to
Scott

power mirror blank.

Yes, and you will probably find single-pin connector at some point along the line inside the door.

I'm suprised. I really thought it would be pre-wired, against my experience which said it wouldn't be.

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper