Radiator problems

Hi all, I have a '98 Mountaineer, 5.0 with AWD. The vehicle has 115,000 miles and is in good shape, I like it very much, so I plan on keeping it for quite a while. I noticed a small area of anti-freeze on the garage floor yesterday, it is coming from the lowest transmission cooler line. The leak is between the large nut and the radiatior, not the small nut around the hydraulic line. Is there a way to re-seal that fitting or am I looking at a new radiator in the future. Thanks to any and all who respond. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

If you have antifreeze leaking from your transmission cooler lines you may have some serious problems. Hopefully it is leaking somewhere else and simply showing up at the trans cooler line. How does your transmission fluid look? Is your coolant inside your radiator still green or is it brown? You can probably tighten the big nut somewhat but they don't look like they will take a lot of torque.

Reply to
Ulysses

Hi Ulysses, Thanks for the quick response. I am convinced the problem is in the seal between the radiator and the big nut. Have you heard of anyone backing the big nut off and putting another seal/gasket on it and then putting it back on? The hydraulic fluid is still red and doesn't smell like burnt popcorn. The anti freeze is still green. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

I can't swear to it but I'm pretty sure I've done it--I probably put a little Ultra-Black silicone on it and tightened it down carefully. It would probably work a lot better if you drained the radiator below the leak level first and let it dry before sealing it. There may be a seal for that connection but I don't recall any off the top of my head. I seem to recall that I replaced the radiator not long after it started leaking (same place as yours) so I can't really say if it held up or not. In my case it was on a '91. You might want to resist the temptation to use radiator stop-leak because some brands could clog your heater core and possibly mess up your thermostat and Explorers have enough problems with thermostats already.

Reply to
Ulysses