$.09 fix for Grand Marquis power window

Page 1 of 2
I fixed my wife's '92 Grand Marquis' rear passenger power window motor this weekend for less than a dime in parts. Instead of getting the ~$30 kit that replaces the gears for the window motor, I decided to try using
3 ea 1/4x20 nuts from the local Home Depot at $.03 each. I'm tired of spending 30 bucks plus when the only thing that breaks are the three little round pieces of plastic that connect the inner and outer gears. They act as a shear pin on a prop, but you can't get just the three plastic cylinders...only the kit which consists of the outer nylon gear and the inner steel gear along with the three cylinders and some grease. I never had to replace the gears anyway...only the plastic cylinders. We'll see what happens, but the price is right! Stan K.
Stan Kasperski wrote:

You can buy the three nylon rollers as a separate pack of three for about $6. See here for Part No. 74409 http://www.rbinc.com/pdfs/2200092HELP !2003.pdf#search='Motormite%20'
What you have done with your 10 cent fix is make a cabbage chopper (oe one for a baby's head).
You can't get 3 stainless steel nuts for that little! Now you possibly could get 3 galvanized nuts for that much, but you'll be changing them out to stainless steel nuts at some future point in time.

Any power window will hurt a child wether or not nylon is used.
There have been discussions about changing this to a pressure sensing auto-reverse system, and it may have even already been mandated for all future models starting in the next couple of years.
Mark opined in ridiculous idea and no one who knows anything about cars would even suggest it!
The solution is already in production.
If a child kills himself with the new pull-up switches then just chalk it up to Darwin at work!

    [ rant deleted ]
My 2003 Honda Civic has the safer pull up switches. My 2005 Ford Escape has vertical rockers. My 2000 Dodge Durango has vertical toggle switches. They won't be allowed under the new regulation, I don't think, but they seem safer to me. The Dodge has guards near the switches, so they might meet spec at the drivers door, but not the other doors.
The 2005 Ford 500 has pull up switches plus auto-reverse on the driver's window.
<http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/safety_switch/SaferSwitchesFinalRule.html
Oct. 1, 2008 is a ways off, and does nothing for the millions of vehicles with badly designed switches that are currently on the road.
Horizontal rocker switches: Most vehicles from Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac, and the Saturn Ion.
Horizontal toggle switches: Some vehicles from Chrysler including the Dodge Neon, Stratus, and Intrepid, and Dodge trucks.
Lever switches, the safer type: Acura, Audi, BMW, Chrysler Pacifica, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, most Isuzu models, Jaguar, Kia, Lexus, most Mazda models, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Saturn L and Vue, current Saab models, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo.
Please don't suggest that a 3 year old defend himself against poor design.
--
---
opined in wrote:

Do you read much? Show me where I suggested that
Automatic reversing is going to be a real PITA once the system gets a little wear! And it's dangerous in itself....

The suggestion was that the wonderful pull up switches were already in place. They aren't. They won't be until 2008.
There is no mandate for auto-reversing in the NHTSA ruling, just safer switches.
"The agency determined that the then available automatic reversal technology could not reliably close vehicle windows in the presence of snow or ice, or even the friction of cold or tight window seals."
--
---
opined in wrote:

or when trying to close the window to ward off a possible physical intrusion or attack.
Now go back and read what I wrote in my first post and the phrase I was responding to...
Dont come back with "Ford doesnt have them in production" or ANY version of that...I did not say that And some mfrs, including MAzda DO have them in place as of two years ago, at least.

The majority of current model cars in the United States do not have them. The solution is available, and in limited production. My two year old Honda has them, I noted that in my response.

I would think that a crusty old geezer curmudgeon would have thicker skin.
--
---
I would think that someone commenting on my thin skin would have read what i wrote >>>>>> in context<<<<<< and not started the stupid thing.

You could ignore what you perceive as my attempt to attack you personally, and presume that I was responding in context to the post before yours as well as yours, neither of which covered the subject as well as my post, which was accurate in its own right, regardless of your venomous thoughts on the topic.
If you tried, you might understand that I agree with you on the lack of need for reversing windows, but I disagree that children should die because of the currently popular switch design. I don't believe that Darwinism applies to children so young, in the face of technology that they cannot possibly comprehend.
--
---
why don't they just make windows so that if you roll them up more than an couple of inches from the top, they automatically just tweak open an inch or two, that way they could almost never strangle anybody. If you wind it up more than 2 inches from the top, or all the way up, they would just stay there. When winding them down they would behave like regular windows. Guess this is a little too quirky and people would complain that the window is falling back down. Or has this already been tried?

Maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell. Did you feel the same way when the feds mandated the same type of system for automatic garage door openers? This is the same thing.

For very few models have the auto reverse winows. A handfull have switches that prevent kids from accidentally kneeling on them and putting the window up.

Mark opined

There's another guy who cant read, and evidently doesnt think ahead much!
A Garage door is not subject to the same tolerances and clearances.
I referred to the "pull" switches as the solution.
Quick ... do a search and tell me HOW many kids have been killed with power windows since 1995.

And we have the winner of the asshole of the week usenet award !! *PLONK*
Do yourself a favor and do a little research before you make yourself look like such as idiot next time.

Not exactly. The door is coming down WITH gravity - the window is going up against gravity. The door is running on an open exposed track, the window is running in an enclosed weatherstrip, which gets stiff and freezes. The window NEEDS to be able to be cranked up against a resistance for security reasons.
Also, a garage door has an emergency closing mechanism - you can unhitch the door from the closer to close the door if and when the closer fails. The window has no such mechanism.
Now, if you want to install a "light curtain" like is used in industrial applications, and has been used in a simplified form on garage doors, all you need to worry about is keeping the transmitters and recievers clean.
Much more viable solution, but still not nearly as simple and effective as a simple "lift to raise" switch.
The switch on the old "AeroScare" was very often accidentally activated by bumping it with your leg when shifting position in the seat. The switches on the '96 Mystique a a huge improvement, but not foolproof. Would be SO simple to make them safe.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:23:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

Both controlled by a motor forcing the action. The same thing.
Mark opined in ridiculous idea and no one who knows anything

You dont get it do you, genius... !!!!
I dont think you have the slightest clue how stupid you look!

Pot kettle black. bla bla bla.....
Try living in the real world and experience what the rest of us see.
Have fun with your untested theories.