$.09 fix for Grand Marquis power window

Not exactly. The door is coming down WITH gravity - the window is going up against gravity. The door is running on an open exposed track, the window is running in an enclosed weatherstrip, which gets stiff and freezes. The window NEEDS to be able to be cranked up against a resistance for security reasons.

Also, a garage door has an emergency closing mechanism - you can unhitch the door from the closer to close the door if and when the closer fails. The window has no such mechanism.

Now, if you want to install a "light curtain" like is used in industrial applications, and has been used in a simplified form on garage doors, all you need to worry about is keeping the transmitters and recievers clean.

Much more viable solution, but still not nearly as simple and effective as a simple "lift to raise" switch.

The switch on the old "AeroScare" was very often accidentally activated by bumping it with your leg when shifting position in the seat. The switches on the '96 Mystique a a huge improvement, but not foolproof. Would be SO simple to make them safe.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

And we have the winner of the asshole of the week usenet award !! *PLONK*

Do yourself a favor and do a little research before you make yourself look like such as idiot next time.

Reply to
Mark

Both controlled by a motor forcing the action. The same thing.

Reply to
Mark

Mark opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You dont get it do you, genius... !!!!

I dont think you have the slightest clue how stupid you look!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Not quite.A garage door can be set up so it will basically fall closed, so virtually no current is required to close it. It can then be set up to stop if there is any resistance to closing, without much danger of the door being stuck open. A 5% increase in closing current means something.

By contrast, MOST power windows require significant current to raise them even at the best of times. A bit of grunge in the track, or whatever, causes an increase in closing current so it is hard to get them set to the point where they will always close effectively, yet will stop before doing harm if a body gets in the way. A 5% increase in current means nothing at all.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Pot kettle black. bla bla bla.....

Try living in the real world and experience what the rest of us see.

Have fun with your untested theories.

Reply to
Mark

Yet they still have adjustments for restrictions in either direction. Wonder why that is?

Reply to
Mark

Mark opined

That is EXACTLY my point... how many power windows in 3 - 10 year old cars have you tried to fix to cure stalling problems?

I've done a few... all different causes.

I have ALSO had to adjust more than three garage door openers to trip reversing switch .... The garage door is infinitely easier to handle, only because you can adjust the door spring tension first, then the door with the opener.

Tolerances on a garage door are on the neighborhood of 1/4 inch, even more before they are all the way closed.

On a car window, about 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch.

So my "untested theory" is empirical and practical FACT.

YOURS is actually tested but will NOT work in the "real world"

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic